Thursday, June 11, 2009

Knott's in Black & White, part 1

While I am a big fan of Kodachrome (and color photographs in general), sometimes the humble black and white snapshot can be a lot of fun as well. I know that my mom has boxes upon boxes of 'em from my own childhood, which is probably why I get a warm fuzzy feeling when I view the following pictures from Knott's Berry Farm! Incidentally, they are undated, but I guestimate that they are from approximately 1959.

Knott's had a number of regular "characters" inhabiting the town, and including this lovely SeƱorita and friendly gunslinger. Or is he a cowpoke? I can never tell. They are mighty pleased to pose for pictures with the family...


... or just by themselves. I'd love to know what buidling they are in front of, and I'll bet there is somebody out there who even knows the names of these characters!


Handsome Brady and Whisky Bill weren't camera-shy either. I love the expression on the boy's face, he looks like he's a genuine rascal! But with a heart of gold, of course. In several other pictures (coming soon!), you can tell that he is having the greatest time, and even after 50 years, it is infectious.

9 comments:

Chiana said...

Knott on wood.

What a lovely dress on the lovely senorita. Sloppy Joe, then as now, can look like heck. :p

Chiana said...

and Matt from yesterday's post, thank you for the cool links - neato "faux" posters!

Michelle said...

They are on the backside of the general store across from the Chinese laundry......the bench is to the left of the water pump as you exit the store.

Jim said...

Ever ponder how many millions of similar bench shots are sctattered throughout scrapbooks across the land? Timeless.

TokyoMagic! said...

The top two pics were taken in front of the replica of Judge Roy Bean's place (Justice of the Peace/Law West of the Pecos.) He called his place "The Jersey Lilly" after the famous actress, Lilly Langtry. There were and maybe still are paintings of her hanging on the walls inside. This is the spot were couples could get "hitched." The building was kind of hidden...it used to sit between the stagecoach loading and Market St., facing towards the Music Hall and the Bottle House. It was moved to it's present location when the "Indian Trails" area was built.

TokyoMagic! said...

Major, here's a photo showing the entire building:

http://tinyurl.com/RoyBean

The Viewliner Limited said...

I think the senorita is probably the most beautiful KBF cast member I have ever seen. I love B&W. Great pics.

Major Pepperidge said...

Thanks for the info, TokyoMagic! I recognize the Indian woman in that (postcard?) photo from a few slides that I have.

Nancy said...

some really nice vintage shots!

i love the white borders around the pictures, brings back memories of my mom's photo album and childhood pictures of our family. thanks for that :D