Friday, December 04, 2009

Mighty Warrior, September 1959

I'm using up the last two from a batch of September 1959 slides... starting with a fun photo of this fierce hunter wielding his curare-tipped spear. Even though he's standing in front of Frontierland's Trading Post, I believe that the spear is from Adventureland. The colorful feathers (from rare birds of the rain forest) are the clue. Notice that the warrior has lost one arm in a battle with a hungry hungry hippo. But does that get him down? Heck no! The "wooden" Indian tries to ignore him. Notice the dad with the Keppy Kap in the background.


You know it, you love it: The Matterhorn. It opened only a few months earlier, and there are still banners celebrating the opening of all those 1959 additions.

6 comments:

I say assay said...

Heck, I'm still celebrating those '59 additions. The ones that are still around, that is.

Did he have to carry the stick with the rubber tip around all day? I'm not so sure it was from Adventureland though. Look at the trading post door, the same kinds of rare feathers are attached to other paraphenalia. I would suggest that the spear is of the Native American variety, and was purchased at the Frontier trading post, and then the moment was captured for posterity outside in the daylight.

He may be hiding a shrunken head souvenir from Adventureland behind his back though...

TokyoMagic! said...

I like the Assay Office sign...."Bring Your Dirty Gold To Us." I wonder if the little covered wagon in the window was one of those cool 50's covered wagon lamps? It sure looks like one!

Chiana_Chat said...

Try as he might to maintain his serene dignity, the Indian fellow can't steal a shot from any kid like that, no sir. Boy I wonder if they give kids a sharp pointy object like that anymore. Puh and that Assay Office will probably only accept our clean gold now. The Frontier is so settled these days!

Yup I love that thar sculpturous glop o' ce-ment for as we all know, it's the horn that matters. I'm still celebratin' it too! Hey Dave or somebody, next time you go, ride it once for me. :)

Nancy said...

the spear is bigger than the boy...you can see how proud he is to own it!

the large gold umbrella really adds the pop of color for our lovely mountain on a rather cloudy day, and i love how the trees frame it perfectly. beautiful shot!

Katella Gate said...

The only things better than the spears were the rubber snakes and the glow in the dark sculls.

Todd Pierce said...

I still like the snow/paint pattern on the 59 matterhorn better than any of those that followed.