Friday, May 16, 2008

Tomorrowland, July 1963

Let's all hear it for Tomorrowland! My favorite land of all, at least it used to be. I'm not sure where this photo was taken from, perhaps the upper level of the Monorail loading area? Anyway, we get a great view of the Autopia. I've seen lots of pictures where there are hardly any children, but that's certainly not the case here! Is that the dreaded center rail I see? Or is it just some modification so that kids wouldn't kill somebody when they arrived back at the loading area?


OK, I'm pretty sure that this photo was taken from that upper level that I mentioned earlier! This is a great view showing the Rocket Jets and the Douglas-sponsored "Flight to the Moon". The interior entryway to the rocket attraction is now painted an interesting red, perhaps in an attempt to be a bit more inviting. I wish I had zoomed in on that yellow and white wall to the left, there are people just beyond it. Are they eating? Is it the line for the Skyway? Do those people have hopes and dreams and fears? I did, however, zoom in one one detail...


Pancakes? Don't mind if I do! In older photos I've seen a sign for a Hotel (or maybe it says "Motel", it's kind of indistinct). But at some point it became a restaurant. Sure, you could go have flapjacks with Aunt Jemima, but now you had options.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That Building at on time that says pancakes was ans asian Resturant .And now it is a IHOP.

Richard

Matterhorn1959 said...

I believe the sign is for Uncle John Pancakes.

Anonymous said...

It was Uncle Johns it closed about three years latter.
Richard

The Viewliner Limited said...

Space Bar and Moonliner , what more can you ask for. Beautiful pictures WOW!!!

Chris Merritt said...

That restaurant later became the infamous "Chow's" - site of many a cast member food-related illness. Long gone now...

CoxPilot said...

Note the two doors in the men's section of the locker rooms. The one on the right exits from the showers and bathrooms. The one on the left leads to the lockers. There was also internal doors, of course, and the balcony had an external staircase off to the left (out of the picture).

Major Pepperidge said...

It figures that it became an IHOP! I'm kind of surprised that a business in such a key location right next to the park changed so often.

Coxpilot, thanks for the info, I did wonder about where those doors led, there's probably not too many people who could tell us about them!

outsidetheberm said...

Ah yes, the infamous 'Chows' Chinese restaurant. Had a friend that worked there. Because of its 'reputation' most of the employees called the place 'Chaos'. For good reason.