Sunday, May 18, 2008

2 From Tomorrowland, December 1965

Here's a couple of so-so images from 1965! Hey, they can't all be winners, can they?

The House o' the Future is a classic Disneyland icon that many people still remember fondly. Not me! I guess I *could* have seen it when I was very young, but I don't think I ever did. What nobody mentions is the remarkable way this house was installed! Listen: A man from the Monsanto corporation showed up with a tiny capsule, looking like something that you might take if you had a cold. He placed it on the ground, put a drop of water on it, and headed for ze hills! Within seconds there stood a gleaming white plastic structure; the eighth wonder of the world. It's all true, so help me jebus.


This slide was dark and murky. Well, it still IS dark and murky, and that's after a considerable dose of Photoshop. But I like the shot of the Disneyland Band marching through some corner of Tomorrowland. I'm not exactly sure where this is though! The undulating roof above us, the futuristic signpost...hmmm. Maybe this was taken from the entrance to "America the Beautiful"? There's the Avenue of Flags, which is right by the entrance. Oh, I give up!

3 comments:

The Viewliner Limited said...

Not SO-SO. The ultimate, great pics.

Anonymous said...

I'm also theoretically old enough to remember House of the Future, but sadly I don't. I didn't start waking up to the possibilities of architecture as art until I turned 10 in 1970, and even then I was more drawn to period architecture than the mid-century stuff that was only slightly passe at the time. Perhaps because, objectively, the HOTF was only like the early 60's but more so, it just didn't register.

What I do remember is the walkway over the reflecting pond and the spill-pan fountain that were operating long after the house was gone... and always thought it was an odd "Bridge to Nowhere."

-Katella Gate

CoxPilot said...

The photographer is standing under the "wavy" America the Beautiful entrance awning, and aiming towards the central plaza. Daveland has a pic of it at:

http://davelandweb.com/tomorrowland/popup.htm?
images/5_64_N15.jpg

And, I think the shadows might indicate an early morning shot.