Monday, September 10, 2012

Keel Boat and Cascade Peak, 1996

Well, here's something a bit unusual for GDB... photos from the 1990's! All four of todays images are from July 1, 1996, and were taken by a buddy of mine who visited the park almost weekly in those days. Some of the photos are just plain pretty, others show stuff that has changed or vanished entirely. 

Por ejemplo, the Keel Boat "Bertha Mae" and Cascade Peak are featured prominent in these pictures; my friend took so many photos of both that I wonder if he had a premonition that they would be going away eventually. I particularly love this first picture... imagine hearing the roar of the waterfalls and feeling the cool spray on your skin.


These next two were taken from Tom Sawyer Island, I believe. At some point the flow of Cascade Peak's waterfalls was dialed down to about half of what it had been, and it shows. I'm sure those big pumps used a ton of electricity ($$$). Still, half is better than nothin'.


A similar shot... I like to think of the Keel Boats as a sort of frontier version of the Peoplemover: a slow-moving, relaxing mode of transportation that afforded a great view of Frontierland and the river.


The Keel Boats would only be around for about another year, being permanently "retired" sometime in May 1997, and Cascade Peak would be torn down in 1998. Frontierland just isn't the same...


I'll have more fun from those crazy 1990's coming up!

11 comments:

Rich T. said...

Miss 'em both...although I'm certainly guilty of not riding the Keel Boats for about ten years before they closed. I just always assumed they'd be there for "next time"... :(

Knott'sAfterDark said...

The Mike Fink Keel Boats were my favorite way to ride through the Rivers of America! The skippers would often tell some great jokes during their narration!

K. Martinez said...

The Keel Boats were my favorite Rivers of America attraction too. I always thought of the them as a frontier version of the Jungle Cruise. Same size boat and live narration. I still miss 'em.

Tom said...

Wonderful pictures! They seem to favor the soft green tones without looking murky. Glad I had a chance to ride on them once in my life...

Anonymous said...

Interesting...I see some of the Canoe guys on the dock in the last picture. Wonder what's up? Sure wish the boats were still there. So much has been lost over time.

Nancy said...

I love how they show the growth of the woods from the early days we usually see here. You just cant have too many trees!!

Beautiful day, gorgeous colors, cant ask for more. Rode the keelboats at WDW, I liked that more than the rafts.

Alonzo P Hawk said...

Thanks for these. I learnt something new today. I dint realize that Cascade Peak made it over 20 past the loss of NWRR. Sad how they drift away and yet we can't exactly remember when things went extinct a the park.

bloefeld said...

I didn't realize Cascade Peak was around that long either. The 90s was the decade I went to Disneyland the least. I still miss Nature's Wonderland. Loved going under the waterfall. Miss those keel boats, too. As always, fantastic photos, Major!

Major Pepperidge said...

Rich T., I miss them too… and I NEVER rode the Keel Boats. Such a bummer…

Knott'sAfterDark, I've heard one live recording of the Keel Boat spiel, it was pretty jokey.

K. Martinez, there was definitely a Jungle Cruise vibe; I wonder if they started out serious in the 1960's and things got silly in later years?

Tom, that might be a result of my scanner or my lack of ability!

Anonymous, there does seem to be a bunch of canoe guys there, but I have no idea why.

Nancy, of course the rafts just went back and forth, while the Keel Boats actually went for a journey; I would like that better too!

Alonzo, isn't it amazing that it was there so long with no ride to accompany it?

bloefeld, the 90s + the "Pressler era"!

Nancy said...

I just meant the craft itself was cooler than the raft, even if that had just it as a ferry would have been cool

Connie Moreno said...

Photos from the 1990s??? I am shocked and appalled. I also lie a lot. Sometimes.