Friday, September 21, 2012

"Alice" Caterpillar, September 1959

If I could only have one genuine, authentic, vintage Disneyland ride vehicle cluttering up my rumpus room, I think I would have to go with one of the wonderful caterpillar vehicles from the Alice in Wonderland dark ride. But what color? They come in an assortment of brilliant hues, including pinks, aquas, oranges and yellows.  At the moment I like the one pictured below!


Disneyland's "Alice" ride was just over one year old in these photos, and I consider it to be an excellent addition to Fantasyland's classic dark rides. In fact, the wacky episodic quality of the movie translates pretty well to a 2-minute surreal experience.


7 comments:

Rich T. said...

Oh, my gosh, I love these shots!

Not only do I agree on your choice of ride vehicle, but on the best color, too!

Although I think the ride was greatly improved during its 1980's remodel, I do have fond memories of the original weirder, more abstract and nightmarish version -- Upside Down Room, screaming doors, flashing lights, gigantic scary Cheshire Cat in your face, etc.!

I also love the amazing sight of all those Blair-tastic leaves in full, unobstructed view in this version. The modern ride is prettier, landscape-wise, (or...*was* before the saftey rails), but the original really made a statement!

Katella Gate said...

I think Rich T hit it on the head, the pre-80s version was much more disturbing to me, much more like "Snow White"... after the remodel, I was surprised how "nice" it all seemed.

Tom said...

Of course, now it's all "safe" and "legal" and all that, so it's lost a lot of its charm. Great pics of a classic!

Melissa said...

The caterpillars are awesome, but I think I'd still rather have a Mr. Toad car.

Major Pepperidge said...

Rich T, I love these too. Unfortunately I don't really remember the old Alice ride, though I am intrigued by ideas like the Upside Down Room. As for those rails, supposedly they've come up with a system in which rails will retract, and only will pop up during an emergency. Hope it works!

Katella, I certainly like the idea of a scarier, more nightmarish ride!

Tom, lawyers take the fun out of everything.

Melissa, I wouldn't turn my nose up at a Toad car... did you see the one that recently went for $30,000 at auction?!

Nancy said...

Lets move this attraction to Disney World!!!

walterworld said...

My favorite 'Disney Classic' when it was re-released to the theaters in the 70's (maybe 1978?)

Vaguely remember the pre-1983 version...