Tuesday, September 11, 2012

3 More Snapshots, August 1963

Here are the last 3 snapshots from a small lot from August, 1963. See the first batch here!

Dad is trying to herd the kids together for another photo, but realizes that it is just not gonna happen this time. Too bad, because the old Matterhorn bobsleds would make an excellent background. Hey, I have a hat exactly like the one that girl is holding!


Awww, they look like li'l angels here. I love the mouse ears, before people started wearing them ironically (I'm talking to you, hipsters!). Notice how the fence behind them is all business for the most part, but they've taken the trouble to make the top level an undulating wave, to take the edge off.


Now they're in front of Tinker Bell's Toy Shop (I believe)... I wanted to zoom in on the stuff in the window, but that doesn't work too well with photo prints... it just turned into a blurry, impressionistic mess. I'm sure there's all kinds of cool stuff in there, though! 

7 comments:

PsySocDisney said...

Such a cute shop window! Have you heard the recent uproar about the shop windows on Buena Vista Street? Apparently the well-themed props and atmosphere in the windows are being covered by cheap not-so-well-themed merchandise. Effective marketing or broken effect? I'm leaning toward the latter...

Rich T. said...

Love these pics!!! That first shot is a scream (and the Dad looks like Richard Nixon!)

And I love the rarely-photographed original ending of the Alice ride -- where you reached the bottom of the vine trail and...nothing happened. Awesome Mary Blair leaves, though! :)

K. Martinez said...

I love the concrete, steel and rock garden of the Alice in Wonderland attraction. Looks like someone might be enjoying a tasty beverage and burger from the Charcter Foods stand next door.

Major Pepperidge said...

Hannahx2, no I have not heard about the shop windows on Buena Vista Street. Can they ALREADY be watering down the richly-themed (or so I've heard) area that got so many raves? Such a shame if it's true.

Rich T., so funny, I came THIS close to making a Nixon comment (basically, "If Nixon and Ed Sullivan had a baby....").

K. Martinez, I wonder if there was ever any plans to make the garden a REAL garden? Mix in a few genuine plants with the fake ones, something like that.

Connie said...

Neato pics and it's the first time I see the same style of fence used elsewhere (minus the undulating top section) that is in the Three Fences corner of Fantasyland!

PsySocDisney said...

Here's an example. Indeed a shame. On Twitter I follow one of the key Imagineers that designed these windows on BVS and even he's not happy :/
http://breakingnews.dlandlive.com/post/31142402187/disney-california-adventure-alters-buena-vista-street

Nancy said...

I just read about the windows issue yesterday. What a shame.

I love photo 3 which reminds me of pics my mom took of the four of us sitting side by side by side by side like that :D