Thursday, January 24, 2008

Night Shots, December 1960

I have found that nighttime is typically the darkest time to visit Disneyland. Fortunately, that's when they tend to turn all of the lights on, making things look extra splendiferous. Night photos at the park don't often come out so great, old film stocks were just too slow. But once in a while you get lucky!

These first two pictures are unusual, showing the fountains that were outside the Hall of Chemistry. The one below is reduced to an abstract weirdness...


...and here we've taken four steps back to get a better feel for what this looked like. There's the flagpole for the great state of Maine, where the fish stick was invented*. Mmmmm, fish sticks!


Enough with the strange pictures already! Here's a pretty one that actually came out good. Main Street is at its most beautiful at night, it's almost like a mini Las Vegas! You can see the glint of the tracks for the Horse Drawn Trolley, and the silhouette of the Omnibus.


*I made up the "fact" about fish sticks, please don't use that information in your Doctoral thesis!

7 comments:

Chris Merritt said...

Gorgeous! My grandfather took similar shots of the Circarama side fountains...

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Neato Fountain shots, you know the photographer worked hard at those (or got really lucky!) Night pics are still hard at DL, my digital camera wants my to become a statue otherwise its blur city!

Mmmmmm Fish sticks, now I’m hungry!

The Viewliner Limited said...

Ahhh! Disneyland at Nite. Its just about time for the music to begin.
Beauty pictures Major.

outsidetheberm said...

Love those!

Anonymous said...

I don't think I've ever seen the omnibus out after dark. I'm curious if they used its headlights.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Love those! I’m constantly impressed with the rare shots on this site. The photographer must have had his camera on a tripod, which means he lugged it around with him all day just to get these shots. Thank you Major and thanks to you Mr. Mystery Photographer!

Matterhorn1959 said...

Nice images. I have the same problem in that most of the images are blurry at night.