Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Freedomland Yet Again

Mules are some of the most bloodthirsty, ferocious killers in the wild. They've been known to skeletonize a cow in less than 3 minutes! But when tamed by man, they become a theme park attraction. Here at Freedomland, it was just that sense of danger and adventure that made their pack mules such a thrill to ride. The "rugged" landscape isn't very convincing, but the perhaps the designers should be cut some slack, since the park was still brand new (having only opened about three months earlier).


Remember that commercial with the native American, the one that cries because of all the litter? Well, look at that mess these guys have made. What gives? Maybe they meant for those paper coffee cups and cigarette packs to wind up in the fire made up of two-by-fours (just like in the wild west). They left parts of their feathered costumes hanging on wooden poles, and probably played poker at that cute little table. At night, they all slept in that yellow plywood box. I do my research!


Sorry about the blur, you really should get your eyes checked! I figured that as long as I was talking about the Indian Village, I would include this view taken from the Skyway. I mean, from the "Tucson Mining Company" Ore Car ride. In the distance you can see the stage coach, moving at mach 3, while folks walk beneath the track of the Santa Fe Railroad. Directly below us are those crazy tipis.

6 comments:

outsidetheberm said...

Freedomland is always so strangely fascinating. Can't get enough of the place. Thanks.

Major Pepperidge said...

I'm glad you enjoy Freedomland, outsidetheberm ... generally I get pretty lukewarm responses from folks, so I was considering not posting any more from there!

jedblau said...

These shots are super cool and very rare. Keep 'em coming! Last time I was in New York, I drove right past the former home of Freedomland in the Bronx. It was a weird exercise for my imagination, but it gave me a thrill, nonetheless.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Please do keep posting these alternate universe photos. They are fascinating to me. I like the ones that could pass for Disneyland if you’re not paying attention. Seems like it was a neat place, but with the NY winters, how could it ever make $$$?

Chris Merritt said...

Wow - we should all pool our resources & do a Freedomland book. I have concept art!

Major Pepperidge said...

Hey Chris, you'll have to show me that concept art someday! As for a book...I'd be willing if I had any idea how to go about it.