Monday, January 21, 2008

Monorail, 1960 & '63

Here are two similar photos, both taken from the Skyway as it passed over the Monorail loading platform in Tomorrowland. I wish that they had managed to get the whole train in both photos, but then again, I wish I had ten million dollars.

As you can see in this first picture, we are looking at the blue 3-Car "Mark I", introduced in July 1959 (about a year before the photo was taken). You can see that this version had a mini bubble dome, which I guess was basically a li'l sunroof. The windows have no glass, and it's nice to be able to see inside the train and get a feel for the way the seats were arranged.


By 1963 the "Mark II" trains were in use (now lengthened to 4 cars), and there's the big bubble dome. That's where the pilot got to sit...those guys got all the babes I'll bet. The windows now have glass (or plexi) in them now, so...no more throwing stuff at the suckers down below.

8 comments:

Jason Schultz said...

I think both shots are great!

Smee said...

Were these the same cars just refurbished or new cars entirely? They should bring them and run them as a ‘retro’ ride. (Retroland?) I remember riding the Seattle monorails a few years back, and marveling at their retro character.
Here’s a Wikipedia link that has a lot of info on the history:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disneyland_Monorail_System

Daveland said...

I miss the bubble.

Anonymous said...

I miss the bubble too... I don't know why Disney went thru all the trouble of making the new monorail trains look like the original design, and yet leave off the bubble. It's like leaving the cherry off the cheese cake.

Katella Gate

The Viewliner Limited said...

Great shots. Monorails are always cool.

Anonymous said...

Aw, but throwing stuff at the suckers stuck walking would have been the best part! :)

Unknown said...

The view of the seats in the blue monorail is amazing.

Very "car" like.

Thanks for sharing these!

Kevin Kidney said...

These are terrific!