Sunday, August 20, 2017

Hooray for Pooh! July 1972

Remember when Disneyland's costumed characters could just wander around for a delightful chance encounter? Sure, there might be a handler nearby armed with a cattle prod, but otherwise the whole experience was a pleasant surprise. Today's photos feature that chubby little cubby, Winnie the Pooh.

Pooh made a big splash (forgive me) in 1964's "Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree", and fans have loved him ever since. Back in the 1990's (or early 2000's), his popularity eclipsed that of Mickey Mouse. His image was on every kind of merchandise, and Disney Store catalogs were dominated by plush toys and clothing featuring all of the characters from the Hundred Acre Woods. Now I like ol' Pooh Bear just fine, but come on! Mickey Mouse is the big cheese in these here parts. (I managed to avoid making a comment about Pooh being shoved down our throats. It feels good to be polite).


Pooh's eyes betray his stuffed animal origins. Glassy as heck! Maybe he's had enough honey for one day. By 1972 (when these photos were snapped), there had been two additional featurettes, "Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day", and "Winnie the Pooh and Tigger Too". I remember being very excited when these wonderful cartoons were aired on "The Wonderful World of Disney".


I'm happy to see that Mickey Mouse has made something of a comeback in recent years. Order has been restored to the Universe.

7 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

I remember the days when Pooh was all over the place. I mean, Pooh was like, everywhere. Remember when the Sears stores were filled with Pooh? I have a Sears Christmas catalog ("Wish Book") from 1973 and it has Pooh all over it! One of my childhood board games was The Pooh Game where you got to play with Pooh.

Fun fact....that Pooh walk-around character had an opening at the top of the honey pot on his head. You could throw things into the honey pot and it would land on the head of the person inside the costume. Not that I ever did that! Honest. I'm just aware of it!

Dig those groovy pants on the little boy holding hands with Pooh in the second pic.

Nanook said...

Major-

In spite of Pooh Bear's always wonderful 'hat', it's hard not to take your eyes off those fabulous 1970's pants being "modeled" by those two young lads. I, on the other hand, managed to get through the entire decade without so much as a single vertical stripe. (Oh - who really remembers - I simply won't admit publicly being influenced by any 'fashion trend').

Thanks, Major.

K. Martinez said...

July 1972? Wasn't there a "Pooh in '72" campaign that year?

The Pooh costume in the 1970's was way cooler than what is used today. Nice pair of Poohs today. Thanks, Major.

Scott Lane said...

Yes there was a time when Sears was the only place you could find his merchandise but by the 90's when that licensing ran we out we were swimming in Pooh! You might even say we were up to our eyeballs in it.

Connie Moreno said...

Oh my gosh I am so glad I am not the only one that felt annoyed about Pooh's popularity back then. I annoyed me to no end!!

Major Pepperidge said...

TokyoMagic!, I still remember the disappointment I felt when I discovered that Pooh had gotten into my honey tree. Also, your fun fact is very fun! I can see why they would have the top of the honey pot open - it would allow some heat out. But if he ever tripped, you’d see a person inside of Pooh!

Nanook, I feel sorry for you for not having striped pants. I remember when I was around 7 or 8, and I had what I thought were very cool pants with thin stripes of many colors… pale yellow, blue, coral pink, earthy green; maybe they were popular because I lived in Huntington Beach, where surfers ruled. The pants looked great with my Hang Ten shirts!

K. Martinez, I had a hard time deciding whether to vote for Archie Bunker, Winnie the Pooh, Bullwinkle, Alfred E. Neuman, or McGovern.

Scott Lane, now that you mention it, Sears did seem to have a monopoly on Pooh merch. And yet… this makes me mostly remember my love of flipping through the annual “Wish Books”, and coveting so many toys that I knew I would never have.

Connie Moreno, I think a lot of people were annoyed by Pooh; I get that the Disney company couldn’t resist cashing in on all that money, but they overdid it.

DrGoat said...

Go with Bullwinkle. He has an excellent advisor in Rocky.