Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Disneyland's "Summer '67" Guidebook

Today's post is a neat one from GDB pal Ken Martinez. Disneyland's souvenir guidebooks are a popular collectible - I have a lot of them - but the "Summer '67" example is unique; it's also somewhat scarce compared to other books, so it's very possible that some of you have never seen it in its entirety. Not only is the size and layout a real break from past guidebooks, but it is chock full of photos that were brand-new at the time. Ken will have a total of 6 posts encompassing the entire guidebook!

Summer ’67 Disneyland U.S.A. – Part 1 Disneyland’s New Tomorrowland

Today is the first post in a six part series featuring the “Summer ’67 Disneyland, U.S.A.” booklet.  I’m not sure of the origins of this booklet, whether it was purchased at the Park or a special mail-in giveaway.  Hopefully, someone will chime in as to how one obtained this piece back in 1967.


It’s Marcia Miner, the Disneyland Ambassador who appeared in the Disneyland episode “From Pirates of the Caribbean to the World of Tomorrow”.  She was the third Disneyland ambassador.  And now, Marcia Miner would say, “You can see we have almost a whole new Disneyland to show you. So we better get started.”


Tomorrowland at Disneyland - A reality Today - Here we have a beautiful artist rendering of the New Tomorrowland.


General Electric’s Carousel of Progress – It seems like the human life-like Audio-Animatronic centric attractions of yesteryear are disappearing more and more.


McDonnell Douglas’ Flight to the Moon and Monsanto’s Adventure Thru Inner Space – This is Tomorrowland when it was about science and edutainment.


Bell System’s America the Beautiful and the Goodyear PeopleMover – And here we have Marcia Miner with Mickey Mouse again.  Besides Julie Reihm and Marcia Miner were there any other Disneyland ambassadors who appeared in Disneyland film productions?  I like the small image of the Coca-Cola “Refreshment Garden” here.


Next will be Part 2 featuring Pirates of the Caribbean, New Orleans Square, “it’s a small world”, Primeval World and Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln,  Hope you enjoyed today’s post.

THANK YOU, Ken Martinez!

11 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

That's a pretty nifty guidebook, Ken! I prefer Tomorrowland when it was about science and the possible future rather than the current Tomorrowland that is only about fantasy and I.P.'s. Maybe they should just rename every land in the park, "Fantasyland" and be done with it.

I love all of the artwork in these pages, but of course, I especially like that artwork for the final scene of the Carousel of Progress. Avocado green refridgerator. Check! Orange living room. Check! Yep, it must be 1967!

Thanks for sharing, Ken! I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of this guidebook.

Anonymous said...

In the lower left corner of the New Tomorrowland rendering, sits the good 'ol House of the Future. I was thinking it was taken out as part of the redo.

Alonzo P Hawk said...

Ken (and Major) thanks for sharing. This is an awesome treasure.
I think we don't even need a show of hands to say this is the most popular era (67')at the park. I was this big http://gorillasdontblog.blogspot.com/search?q=alonzo+p+hawk
back then and can still remember looking through the bars at the Haunted Mansion wanting to go in (alas not for 2 more years).

I like to rummage around used book stores (in Cali and Az)for hidden gems like these. Hang on tight. Worth a fortune some day.

Anonymous said...

A great re-visit of yesteryear...and of the Tomorrowland I grew up with and still consider the model against anything Imagineeering can come up with. Very disappointed with the current version like so many of you. KS

Nanook said...

Ken-

Thanks for sharing this great brochure. I've seen it, but not for quite some time. Am looking forward to the next "installment".

@ Anonymous-

Even though the official opening of the New Tomorrowland was on July 2, 1967, the House of the Future didn't close its doors until December 1st of that year. I suppose there were probably other reasons for its inclusion in the rendering.

Anonymous said...

Major and Ken, this is brilliant, thank you.

I recall some pictures, but probably from different sources, since the book doesn't look familiar at all.

JG

Chuck said...

Thanks, guys - this is AWESOME!

I love the mix of concept art, model photography, NYWF imagery, and a new photo of the completed PeopleMover to let us know what's in store for us this summer. It's a great, big, beautiful Tommorrowland - and none of that hippie nonsense going on 400 miles to the northwest!

It's interesting to note that Marcia Miner's writing style was uncannily like Marty Sklar's.

My favorite picture is the (John Hench?) Tomorrowland overview painting. Other interesting details besides the HotF include three-car PeopleMover trains, synchronized Rocket Jets circling an Atlas-themed central support column, and a not-Mary-Blair-mural on the front of ATIS as Anaheim burns colorfully to the ground.

Another home run for ken and the major! Can't wait to see the next installment!

K. Martinez said...

Tokyo Magic!, unfortunately that Tomorrowland is long gone. Even EPCOT's days of edutainment seem to be going away in favor of the IP based attractions. It appears to be what today's guests want.

Anonymous, the House of the Future hung on a little longer. Nanook provided more detail on how long it stayed after the Tomorrowland '67 opening.

Alonzo P Hawk, Agreed. Disneyland '67 was when Disneyland was at its height in expansion and all the new Audio-Animatronics attractions were being created and built like Carousel of Progress, Mission Control in Flight to the Moon, Pirates of the Caribbean and the Haunted Mansion to come as you mentioned. Disneyland was shaping into what it would remain like for many years to come.

KS, I too consider Tomorrowland 1967 the ultimate measure of what Imagineering could do and did. I don't think I ever saw anything as good except perhaps the Disneyland '59 expansion before which I thought was pretty awesome.

Nanook, Glad you enjoyed and thanks for the information on House of the Future.

JG, glad you enjoyed and also glad that the pictorial is new to you. Stay tuned for more.

Chuck, That Tomorrowland overview painting is my favorite piece of art ever produced for that "land". Also, I have seen a photo of a 3-car PeopleMover before, but it's the only one I'm aware of.

Thank you all for the nice comments. More to come!

Unknown said...

My brother had a copy around the house and I just about wore it to the nubs looking through it so often.

Unknown said...

As a boy of 8, my first visit to Disneyland was the summer of 1967 - July! My family flew out from the East Coast and it was also my first plane ride. I had many months to get excited for the trip and remember counting the days until we left. I had a huge fold out map of Disneyland (wish I still had it) and would trace out where I wanted to go. One place was the House of the Future. I knew precisely where it was from the map and when we got to Disneyland, I ran ahead of my family, more or less rushing through Main Street to get to the House... and when I got there, it was closed! (I seem to remember it was already gone, but I may be remembering it wrong. I know I was unable to see it.) The trip was still magical and Tomorrowland was shiny, exciting and packed. I was too young to understand that this was a new version, and in any case, it was a great first impression for many future visits.

Unknown said...

To answer the query posed at the top of the article - this booklet was obtained by clipping an offer out of a magazine (can't remember which one) and mailing it in with 25 cents.