Monday, May 14, 2012

Special Guest Photos!

Today's photos are from the collection of a GDB reader who goes by the pseudonym of Alonzo P. Hawk! He and his family visited Disneyland in the summer of 1967 and he recently found these three images; lucky for us, he scanned them and is sharing them with all of us to enjoy.

There's Alonzo and his two sisters, posing in front of the iconic Mickey flower portrait (looks like the flowers need a few weeks to bloom); notice the Santa Fe logo on the train station... it just belongs there! So does the Kalamazoo hand car. Also, the population is listed at 60 million... wow! (How often was that sign updated)? I dig the cat's-eye glasses on the girls. 


Here's a great shot looking down Main Street from the hub; if you look carefully, you can see an Omnibus heading our way.  The summer crowds are not too bad, considering the recent opening of the wonderful New Tomorrowland.


And finally, my favorite! Check out this beautiful view of Tomorrowland, taken (I believe) from the upper level of the Carousel of Progress building. I rescind my comment about the light crowds... check out those long lines for the Submarine Voyage and the Monorail! You can see a yellow Monorail train, and a blue Monorail train in the distance. We even get the cheerful Skyway buckets and the Peoplemover, at no extra charge.


MANY THANKS to Alonzo P. Hawk for generously sharing his wonderful family photos!!

11 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

Oh my gosh, Summer of '67....Tomorrowland was brand new. I would love to travel back to this time in DL history. Thanks Alonzo for sharing your family pics with us!

Alonzo P Hawk said...

Wish I was there right now. No really. I'll take any day at Disneyland over this. 104 today and 107 on tuesday. Ah, spring in Arizona. And I thought it got hot in Anaheim around august.

K. Martinez said...

That 3rd images is Disneyland perfection.

Thanks for sharing Alonzo!

SundayNight said...

Wow, that sub line stretches across Tomorrowland. When you see a line like that it’s time to head for the Peoplemover or the Carousel of Progress. Thanks for sharing these.

Anonymous said...

Thank You Alonzo, and Major P.

My favorite time and place.

Best to all.

JG

Major Pepperidge said...

TokyoMagic!, I agree… it would have been amazing to be at Disneyland when "Tomorrowland '67" was brand new. What a place!

Alonzo, arg… I hate hot weather so much. 107 to 109 sounds absolutely miserable!

K. Martinez, photo #3 is definitely one that I wish I could step into.

SundayNight, that line for the subs is pretty incredible; imagine how long it would take to actually get on the ride! Certainly more than an hour.

JG, I was pretty sure you would like these!

David said...

The one advantage to digital over the standard film, you can make sure your child's eyes are open. It made me laugh, young Alonzo with his eyes shut (though the sun was in his eyes). Nice to look at, thanks!

Debbie V. said...

Keds!

Rich T. said...

Great photos! That shot of Tomorrowland -- that's the viewing angle where I'd just always stare, take it all in and think "I'm really here!"

Nancy said...

gorgeous pics, Alonzo. Wish I was there, too!! thanks for sharing them with us!

Anonymous said...

In the Main Street picture,the majority of people are walking on the sidewalks,not in the street.