Thursday, May 17, 2012

Disneyland Wardrobe Department

Today's "Disneyland Wardrobe Department" (courtesy of Huck!) features some awesome Tomorrowland costumes, all circa 1970.

Doesn't Sandy look cute in her "Adventure Thru Inner Space" duds? Sort of like a stewardess of the time (this was before the term "flight attendant" existed). I've seen photos of the outfits from opening day, and they were very funky and futuristic, with strange headgear (a soft vinyl "bathing cap" thing)... I wish they'd stayed with that look!


Mark has the same pasted-on smile that my niece and nephew have when I take pictures of them. He's wearing the men's "Adventure Thru Inner Space" costume, and it reminds me of Star Trek for some reason - the first few movies anyway.  It's nice to know that somebody looks more awkward in photos than I do.


Sandy's back! This time she's working over at "Flight to the Moon", and she's wearing the hell out of that outfit. In the future, everything is tight! Dig the white boots, daddy-o.


If you think that Huck is done with us, you've got another thing comin'. 

10 comments:

scott8637 said...

I don't know if it's because I was in my teens in the seventies, or nostalgia, but I still like the funky styles.
Sandy looks so sweet and innocent in her stewardess outfit. (that should have been the flight to the moon/mars uniform) and so vavavoom in in pants and white boots.
You sure Mark isn't Mr. Tom Morrows stand in, He looks like he has less movment.

TokyoMagic! said...

It looks like the ATIS costumes both had something on their left shoulders. A patch? Something relating to Monsanto? These costumes are just too, too cool....especially the Flight To The Moon jumpsuit!

Melissa said...

For some reason, I could really go for a Creamsicle right now.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

The male costume guy looks like he wandered off the set of "Lost in Space"...

Sandy with her tight jumpsuit and white boots is pretty amazing, one more reason to take another flight to the moon!

K. Martinez said...

I’m really enjoying the wardrobe series. The 60s and 70s really were Disneyland’s golden age.

Vintage Tickets - I thought the same thing too. These Tomorrowland outfits look like they came out of an Irwin Allen television production. The first and third images remind me of Land of the Giants.

Major Pepperidge said...

scott8637, I think I like the styles in a nostalgic way, but I don't wish I was wearing them! And yes, maybe Mark was animatronic.

TokyoMagic!, there IS a patch, but you just can't see enough of it. I wouldn't be surprised if it mentioned Monsanto though...

Melissa, I could always go for a Creamsicle! Mmmmm, orange and vanilla...

VDT, you are right on, they look very "Lost in Space"!!

K. Martinez, I agree, these photos are awesome... I'm very glad that Huck has been sharing them with us.

Alonzo P Hawk said...

Soo much use of synthetic fibers I'm itchy just thinking about it.

These costumes are truly miracles from molecules.

#3 look like an Orbit gum commercial. Got a dirty mouth?

RemainSeatedPlease said...

Major, I'm really enjoying these visits to wardrobes past (thanks, Huck). And more to come you say? Bring 'em on.
Regarding pic #3: cue Sinatra, "Fly me to the moon. . ."

Snow White Archive said...

Yes. I dig those white boots. Right on Sandy!

MIKE COZART said...

I have the 1967-1975 Rocket Jets-Flight to the Moon Jumpsuit(it) and the PeopleMover jumsuit is 67%WOOL and 33% Nylon -- not an ounce of polyester!! It my interviews regarding the history of Disney park costumes I learned that Disney used very little polyester in its costumes. Tom Pierece who headed the costume designs for the parks said in the 70's they had castmembers say they had alergic reactions to polyester and could not wear the costumes----(because the castmember just didn't want to wear the costume...) Tom would sjow them the fabic tags to show they were fine because the costume had NO polyester. Polester was very popular and a very strong fabric, but in the 70's comedians began making fun of Polyester and Americans became embarresed to ear it. Tom said--comedians gave polyester a bad rap!