Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Pirate Ship, October 1967

I've always liked the way the hill that was the base for the Fantasyland Skyway station was landscaped to resemble an alpine landscape. The walkway and fence were built to curve... more expensive than straight lines, but more rustic and charming too. The clear "mountain" air affords us a good view of the Chicken of the Sea Pirate Ship too.


There's my favorite mermaid... just look at that amazing relief sculpture. It's basically an ad for a brand of tuna, but it is done so well that I don't care! I'm trying to picture what it might look like if Starkist had sponsored the tuna boat instead. "Sorry, Charlie...."


Here's another view; boy, Fantasyland looks deserted. The Dumbos don't even have the energy to soar.


10 comments:

K. Martinez said...

The Skyway station hill had some great trees as can be seen in the first image. Whenever I see this type of tree in my neighborhood I always think of the Skyway and Matterhorn. They’re very alpine like.

When did they remove the sails from the Pirate Ship Restaurant? In some photos I see them unfurled, in others tied up and here they are completely absent.

I agree Major. The mermaid relief sculpture was beautiful! I miss that restaurant. Nice pics today!

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

I got a little altitude sickness but its more than worth it for the view! Love that "guest-less" last shot.

Melissa said...

At least she's more modest than that little hussy Ariel!

Nancy said...

Loving these, esp the first image. If not for the rides we can see and the buildings way in the distance, it looks like it could actually be out somewhere in the wilderness with the trees and the mountain, passing thru some gorge or something.

The Viewliner Limited said...

I can't help but get a little angry when I see pictures of the tuna boat. Again, why was it just destroyed. So sad! Great pics Major.

TokyoMagic! said...

What Viewliner said!

Daveland said...

Oh how I'd love to recreate that angle from the Skyway Station path...Major - can you cover me next time I'm at the park? Keep the security SWAT team away while I snap?

Major Pepperidge said...

K. Martinez, my grandma had one of those trees in front of her house in Encino, so it reminds me of her home! As for the sails, I think they were regularly replaced, and then removed as they got too ratty.

VDT, it's funny, nowadays I get a kick out of the crowded photos because of the "people watching".

Melissa, the COS mermaid is definitely awesome!

Nancy, those darn rides ruined everything! ;-)

Viewliner and TokyoMagic!, I'm not exactly angry, but I do miss it a lot. But I might miss Skull Rock more.

Daveland, I will bring my super soaker!

...But It Wasn't Always That Way! said...

Tuna boat, I never had the honor and privilege to meet thee. What Viewliner and Tokyo Magic said!

Connie Moreno said...

I love these shots!!! And you guys better let me know when you plan to "storm the landing"!!