Thursday, October 25, 2007

Town Square, 1960

I don't know why, but I can't look at Town Square without thinking of "The Twilight Zone". There were a number of TZ episodes that took place in yesteryear. "Willoughby, next stop Willoughby...". I can almost imagine how eerie it would be to walk down a deserted Main Street U.S.A., feeling like the last man on earth!

But I digress. In this 1960 photo, a number of folks are taking advantage of the welcoming benches that surround the flagpole. Feets get tired! And so do little kids. I wish I had an annual pass so that I could feel like I had time to sit on one of those benches, eat some popcorn, and just enjoy the sights and sounds around me. There's a group of officers to the left, are they required to wear their hats and uniforms at all times? Relax, guys! The Opera House wasn't in use at this time, apparently. I spy "Grand Canyon Diorama" and "Alice in Wonderland" posters! To the far right, the Bank of America is doing brisk business.


Thank goodness for the Emporium shopping bag, because for all we know, the kid has taken off his pants by now. Talk about making yourself at home! Is that the Surrey visible over mom's shoulder?


That fire hydrant reminds me of a joke:

Q: If a fire hydrant has H2O inside, what does it have on the outside?

A: K9P!

Sorry.

5 comments:

Matterhorn1959 said...

And the dad is very cool with his cigarette hanging on his hand.

Thufer said...

i would NEVER let my kid run around disneyland with no shirt on. these just blow me away.

Stub Winged Bilge Rat said...

I had no idea that going shirtless at Disneyland was an option. This will save me a lot of room when I pack for a long vacation at the park, I'll just leave the shirts at home. ;-)

Or, maybe he spilled Welch's grape juice all over his old shirt and there is a new Mickey Mouse t-shirt in the Emporium bag.

walterworld said...

Ahhhh...Willoughby. It's kind of warm this Summer...maybe I'll do some fishing with those young folks.

Back at the office it's "Push! Push! Push!" and back home it's not much better...Oh for a simpler time!

Monkey Cage Kurt said...

I can’t believe nobody commented on that bad joke.
Bad joke, Major.
Major bad joke!
But, no harm done, apology accepted.