Thursday, October 11, 2007

Monorail & Tram, November 1969

I'm guessing that our photographer just disembarked from the Monorail, since the station is off screen to our left. The yellow Monorail is on its way back to Tomorrowland, but first passengers will enjoy a look at the vast parking lot. According to a rigorous study that I just made up, every person on board the Monorail spent at least a few seconds searching for their own car. In the history of the park, not one guest could actually see it from the highway in the sky. Note the candy-striped roof of the Anaheim jitney down below. ("Jitney" is the word of the day).


After an arduous walk downstairs, we are at eye-level with the tram. You can see many of the same folks that were visible from up above. It's very strange that there is not a woman to be seen. Maybe this was taken during a "He-man Woman-hater's Club" meeting (as immortalized in "The Little Rascals).

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually did see my car once from the highway in the sky.

Daveland said...

Love that bright yellow monorail - great shots!

Chris Merritt said...

That 1st shot - WOW! Gorgeous - and I love seeing the Anaheim Convention Center in the background... Now, can you get one for me with Sambo's in the shot?

tericson said...

Great shot! Brings back some great kiddie "I can hardly believe we're almost there now" memories...

And not to pick nits, but that monorail has just come *from* the park - there's no driver's bubble on the visible end. It also crossed the middle of the parking lot on the way back to the hotel, and skirted the front of the park on the way in.

Ynot said...

We, the He-Man Woman Haters Club, promise not to fall for this Valentine's business, because girls are the bunk.
LOL

Hrundi V. Bakshi said...

a rare SoCal rain the night before?

Anonymous said...

In the 1970s, when I was a kid growing up in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, my dad would drive our family 2 hours up Hwy. 61 to Natchez, Mississippi, to see our grandparents. One of my very special memories is when "Mamie", my dad's mother and my grandmother, would take my brother and I to a local supermarket to get a toy ( from "The Toy Aisle" )... the name of the store was the "Jitney Jungle" - !!
Sincerely, William Carroll
Denham Springs, LA
WLCDSLA@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Don't forget to point out the somewhat oblique but still visible view of the classic original Disneyland sign in the background!