Thursday, June 20, 2013

Vintage Pinbacks

'Tis time for more vintage Disney pinback buttons.

Mickey Mouse wants you to have strong bones and teeth, so drink more milk why don'tcha. The center button is unusual because it shows Mickey with a 5 o'clock shadow... which is how he was often depicted on foreign merchandise in the early years. This tin-litho example is numbered for use in some sort of contest (or so I've been told). The button for "Mickey Mouse Globe Trotters" was given out by various bakeries, and many variations (over 30) can be found. "Bell Super Soft Bread", "Dutch Oven Bread", "Gold Cup Bread", "Holsum Bread", and so on.


In the 1930's, the Boston Sunday Advertiser wanted everyone to know about their 20-page color comic section. How I would love to see a complete section of vintage comics today! In the center is a pin that I know little about, except that it is for a book club. It is probably from the 1950's or 60's. French? Canadian? Who knows. The pinback button on the right is one of my favorites, a scarce tin-litho example with a wonderful representation of the early pie-eyed Mickey (s you can see, Mickey frequently looks a bit "off" on many pins).


Next we have another rarity, from the "RKO Kiddie Kartoon Klub". RKO was the distributor for Disney from 1936 to 1954. The pin in the center is something of a mystery, but it is safe to assume that "Aladdin - Tabor" was the name of the theater that handed these out. And finally, a pin that I found in a junk shop years ago. It probably dates from the 1950's and might be from the U.K. "Mickeypops" was probably a frozen confection of some kind.


Oh boy, I have more vintage Disney pins to share, comin' up!

8 comments:

Nancy said...

I cant believe this...just this morning before I came down just now, I was re-arranging my EPCOT Center buttons on their lanyard....spooky!

These are so cool, I cant decide which is my favorite. I am torn between being healthy with milk and being a globe trotter...so I will just have to have 2!

Chuck said...

Since the last sentence of your post starts with "oh, boy," I had to read it "hearing" Mickey's voice. Then I went back and read the whole post in Mickey's voice. I may do that from now on.

K. Martinez said...

More vintage pinbacks. I love it! The 5 o'clock shadow button is definitely my favorite.

Pegleg Pete said...

These are great. I too especially like the 5 o'clock shadow Mickey.

Major Pepperidge said...

Nancy, how many EPCOT buttons do you have? Must be a lot! I will send you those two pins in the mail right away, lol!

Chuck, it didn't even occur to me, but that sort of IS Mickey's catch phrase, sort of like "Good grief" for Charlie Brown.

K. Mattinez, when filming, Mickey often had to shave twice a day.

Pegleg Pete, luckily Minnie loved it when he had that rugged, dangerous look!

Melissa said...

At first I read "MICKEYPOPS" as "MICKEYPOPE."

Chuck said...

It was either Mickey or Dr Sam Becket, leaping again.

Major Pepperidge said...

Melissa, it is time for you to confess your transgressions to Mickey.

Chuck, who is Dr Sam Becket?!