Monday, August 20, 2007

Merlin's Magic Shop, October 1969

Odds bodkins! The man who took this series of slides was obviously impressed with the old-world craftsmanship on display at Merlin's Magic Shop. He must have taken at least 6 photos of it. Gadzooks! Before 1983, it was one of the few places in Fantasyland that did not rely on flat, brightly colored and patterned facades meant to resemble tents at a medieval faire.

I'm sure that Walt would have built everything with this attention to detail back in 1955 - - if he'd had enough moolah. It's pretty spectacular nowadays, even though we lost the pirate ship.


Here's a side view showing more details....carved wood, half-timbered framing, leaded glass bullseyes in the windows, etc. In the window to the left, you can see some sort of display showing stacks of playing cards. What would a magic shop be without playing cards?? My main memories of the Magic Shop involve the displays of rubber monster masks, which my older brother and I had to look at every time. There was no way my parents would spend good money on one of those!


I thought I'd zoom in and lighten things up, for a closer look at the window display. Notice the magical paper cup on the window ledge!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Been waiting to see these. Steve Martin worked there. Any interiors? Thanks for the great blog.

Matterhorn1959 said...

Very nice images of a great themed store. I think Steve Martin worked mainly at the Magic Shop on Main Street although he probably worked both.

Merlinsguy said...

Wow. You know I love these!

Steve Tanner at Magical Trash said...

That cup is so magical!

Anonymous said...

Steve may have worked in both Merlin's, but we lived in Hollywood at that time and only got to the park 2 times a year (no annual passes then)and on one of those trips my brother and I spent about a half hour with him at that shop in Fantasyland watching him do tricks.

Unknown said...

I also like the creepy doll in the window. The animatronic boy by the bench almost looks real. Is he wearing Mouse ears?

Major Pepperidge said...

Yes, fotogogo (how's it going!), I wish I could see the creepy doll better. The animatronic boy is wearing mouse ears...all the better to hear you with!

MagicShops said...

Wow! I'm a fan of magic shops and this one looks really amazing! It's architecture creates a magic environment! I can't wait to visit it!

John Burns said...

Fantastic! I would love to visit this it looks amazing