Monday, August 13, 2007

Matterhorn Bobsleds, August 1961

Here's a look at the old Matterhorn Bobsleds when it was just one bobsled at a time rather than two hitched together. I wonder if it was faster? The sleds are racing along the last stretches of the circuitous journey down the mountain, and are about to splash through an alpine pond (formed from melted glacial ice, naturally), which looks cool and helps to absorb some of the momentum. I'll bet that a pond filled with oatmeal would work even better. I got ideas!


This attraction is still as much fun as ever. I'm not wild about the tandem seating (depending on who I'm with, of course), but it's a minor quibble! The fact that it had two tracks for two slightly different rides seems like a fairly major innovation for 1959. I even like the later additions of the ice caverns and Harold, the abominabobble snowman.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

matterhorn is still fun after all of these years. i've always wanted to be able to walk through the interior and check out the details that you don't get to see as you are racing around.

Chris Merritt said...

I love getting close-ups of that early rockwork - certainly different than how we do it today!

Tinker Bell said...

I like your ideas, Major! You make me laugh!

Unknown said...

wait... was that a stan freberg reference!?