Monday, June 30, 2008

Rainbow Ridge, December 1959

I have lots and lots of slides taken from the Mark Twain from many journeys around the Rivers of America. The Columbia? Not so many. As far as I can tell, anyway. But here is one view that, at first glance, appears to be nothin' special. But wait! There's a little construction wall blocking that walkway near the center of the picture. And by gum, Rainbow Ridge is undergoing some kind of major construction. I know that you don't want to take a closer look, but I'm going to do it anyway.


Zooooom! That's the sound that's made when we zoom in, see? Let's look for some familiar buildings. You can see the distinctive "flat-than-round-than-flat-again" roof of the hardware store (down low), and further to our right is the El Dorado Hotel ("flat-than-pointy-than-flat"!). Looks like there is no Assay Office or Opera House yet, and I believe that the buildings being framed to the left are ones that were more visible from the Pack Mule loading area, such as the Pioneer Hotel, the Horse Shoe Cafe, and the Gold Nugget Saloon.

6 comments:

spajadigit said...

By jing, I think you're right, Major! This is my favorite kind of photo- the work in progress. I've seen pictures of the Matterhorn when it was just a bunch of steel girders, and I've seen pictures of Pirates when it was just a big hole in the ground. But I've never seen Rainbow Ridge in this state! Awesome... Thanks for sharing!

Daveland said...

WAY cool photo! Rainbow Ridge is one of my fave parts of Frontierland, and nice to know that a portion of it is still there.

Merlinsguy said...

Excellent photo!

Unknown said...

Great shots.

I enjoy seeing the photos that are out of the ordinary!

The Viewliner Limited said...

Excellent picture Major. Always enjoyed this area of Disneyland very much.

Anonymous said...

Just dandy!