Sunday, February 07, 2010

Frontier Boogie, August 29, 1965

Yeah, it's the Indian Dance Circle, where square dancing is physically impossible. Jitterbugging is permitted, though.

The circle needs some fresh paint, those guys have danced the design right off of it. The log fire in the middle was there so that complimentary s'mores could be made and handed out to each audience member.


Today he's wearing an eagle costume; yesterday he was dressed as a giant fly, and another guy carrying a giant papier maché can of Raid chased him around.


My favorite Dance Circle photos are the ones taken when the kids in the audience were asked to join in. Junior (in the red shorts) is nervous, and is looking back to make sure mom and dad haven't skeedaddled. It happened to me. I was raised by magpies.

8 comments:

Chiana_Chat said...

Hey I love that middle pic! Everything, the framing, the dancer going into it, the costume, his shadow, the texture/design on the log & circle near us, the tee pee, the Mark Twain Riverboat (!) for side accent. Or am I just silly? Well I am silly but I mean just. You know what I mean!

Meanwhile in the bottom pic, over on the left Shirt Of Dark Waters and His Belt Jingles are debating: will that golden haired girl's hair stay golden or turn brown as she grows.

Okay I'll be quiet for a S'mores. :)

Chiana_Chat said...

* doing the Frontier Boogie *

Major Pepperidge said...

I'm glad you like the pix, Chiana!

Let's pretend that golden girl's hair is still golden (although my blond hair turned quite a bit darker as I got older)!

Connie Moreno said...

Very, very cool....wish I could have seen them with my own eyes but back in 1965 I was too concerned with getting in line for the Matterhorn. Stupid kid!

Matterhorn1959 said...

This is the nicest set of Indian Dance photographs I have seen. The photographer had a very good eye.

outsidetheberm said...

Agreed. These really are great. And your commentary is worthy of a stand-up routine. Too funny!

Chiana_Chat said...

* still doin' the Frontier Boogie and snickering "magpies!" *

Nancy said...

great colors, bright and happy! what more can a person want...'cept S'mores... ;)