Sunday, February 14, 2010

Da Jungle Cruise, 1960

Here's a nice shot of the Jungle Cruise "boat house" (or whatever it's called!), with its three-story lookout tower. Employees used to sit up there and take pictures as the occasional boatload of guests was eaten by enraged rhinoceroses (rhinoceri?). But eventually the tower was removed because really, how many times can you watch the same carnage over and over? Like, maybe 100 times or so, and after that, I'm back to my crossword puzzle and my "Marmaduke" cartoons.


You can see why a rhino would want to eat one of those delicious, crunchy boats. In fact, I defy you to just eat one.

6 comments:

Chiana_Chat said...

I can't anymore. One boiler and my blood pressure just soars.

Picturesque, these, I like 'em. Now it's back to being a big ole building, if anything too big. The one in the pic there has an old-fashioned feel and perhaps more believable simplicity for the setting than the deluxe one we have today.

TokyoMagic! said...

Were the boats made by Lays? NOBODY can eat just one!

Does anyone know why they tore down this boat house and replaced it with the thatched roof queue?

Anonymous said...

The Jungle Cruise boat house was removed to allow the Swiss Family Treehouse to reign supreme over the Adventureland skyline when it was installed in '62. I liked the "new" thatched bullpens better anyway!

Major Pepperidge said...

It looks better now than it did for many years... I don't mind the thatched roof (and like the animatronic bird up above you, a nice subtle touch).

stu29573 said...

Tony Baxter once said that although he's not sure why it was removed, he had heard that it was because the jungle had grown up so much you couldn't see anything anyway...

Nancy said...

i like it, tho i do admit i never realized how big it actually was till this picture! the newer version gives me more of the jungle feel than this, which reminds me a lot of the riverboats