Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Bertha Mae, August 1969

Nowadays you don't meet too many gals with colorful names like "Bertha Mae". It ain't right! If ever I have a girl child, I'm going to name her Bertha Mae. That, or "June Bug" (June Bug is pretty cute, you have to admit).

Looky, there's a Keel Boat! Notice some of the changes in the Bertha Mae since this 1958 photo... particularly the improved, less anachronistic stairway up to the top.


Whee-doggies, see how crowded Frontierland is? In fact, even the Keel Boat is crowded! You'll see how truly nuts it is in a future post. Based on two other slides in this lot, I can say for sure that the crowds were not due to the opening of a certain Mansion, even though that occurred the same month.

5 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

And if I ever have a child....boy or girl, I'm going to name him or her, "Gullywhumper." Maybe our kids can get together for playdates with little "Columbia" and "Omnibus"!

Connie Moreno said...

Wow...(I seem to begin most of my posts with "wow", don't I??) Anyway...Wow, I did not realize that I missed those darn boats. The last time I rode one was Grad Nite 74. I wish they would bring them back. Now, what's up with the crowds? I was blown away!

Andrew said...

Those keel boats look fun, in a slow paced kind of way. I never got to ride them. Is that a young James Cameron on the bow of the boat in pic #2? "I'm king of the world!"

Caspian said...

It's got to be Bertha Mae. You've already promised us:
http://gorillasdontblog.blogspot.com/2008/02/junk-n-stuff.html

She's going to be Gullywhumper's little sister.

:-)

LD

TokyoMagic! said...

LOL....Caspian is right, you had already picked out Gullywhumper for your son. I guess I'll go with Columbia and Omnibus then for my kids. Do you think they'll be teased on the playground?