Sunday, July 13, 2014

Town Square, 1960

You won't need your nerve pills today, because the photos are not very exciting! This first one is a view of Town Square in the late afternoon; you can see the banner in the distance heralding the opening of Nature's Wonderland and the "Art of Animation" exhibit. My favorite detail is the family just to the left (our left) of the streetcar. There's dad with three boys (the boys are all marching in step), and bringing up the rear is mom with yet another little boy. It makes me tired just thinking of what life must be like in their house!


I wonder why these turned out so dark and murky. Was it simply an erroneous camera setting? Did the film get cooked in a hot car? If this wasn't so contrasty it would actually be a nice look at the C. K. Holliday as it gets underway for the Grand Circle Tour around Disneyland.


4 comments:

Irene said...

And if I'm not mistaken, Mom is expecting another bundle of joy! Will she get that girl she has been wishing for?

Alonzo P Hawk said...

On sunday excitement is overrated. These may not be "exciting" but are far from boreing. They set a peaceful tone for the day of rest (last day before the beginning of another work week).
Sunday night was always uncle Walt and the World of Color.

I'll take a sunday ride on the DLRR over a vomit coaster every time. Remember, every day is a Holliday and every circle tour a Grand one on the DLRR. Thanks for posting these. Good memories.

TokyoMagic! said...

It's interesting to see the area just to the right of the tunnel under the train tracks without the "Newsstand" souvenir stand. Does anyone know when those were built?

Major Pepperidge said...

Irene, I couldn't be sure, but I do think that mom might be pregnant. Yikes!

Alonzo, ha ha, I think these have lulled you into a state of fuzzitude. Wow, somehow until you mentioned it, I hadn't equated Sunday night with "The Wonderful World of Disney" for a long time. I used to look forward to that show SO much!

TokyoMagic!, hopefully somebody smarter than me will see your question, because I don't have a clue. It must have been pretty early though. 1956?