Monday, July 28, 2014

Pirate Ship, 1956

Yo ho ho and a bottle o' rum! And if it is not too presumptuous of me, Arrrr! The old Chicken of the Sea pirate ship was a beautiful and functional piece of make-believe in the pre-1983 Fantasyland.  Here are three swell pictures of it from 1956.

In those early days, the words "Chicken of the Sea" had not yet been added to that red band on the bow. Not that it needed it, but something tells me that the powerful tuna consortium insisted that it be added - probably because of the zillions of photos being taken. Gotta make the most of that free advertising (even though they were paying Disneyland a sponsorship fee, I know). This is a lovely look at the details and excellent craftsmanship found on the vessel.


Now for a look at the port side, which was not photographed nearly as much as the starboard side. They're not that different really, except for that staircase, which all good pirate ships had. I assume that all of the rigging was as authentic as possible. I wonder how often it needed to be replaced?


And as always, the thing looked so much better when the sails were unfurled and the skull and crossbones flew from the main mast. "Throw down yer arms and give us yer gold!". I just wanted to say that.


13 comments:

Nanook said...

Major-

Yes - the Pirate Ship certainly looks fine in these images. What a treasure it was.

And as for the 'port' side 'o the ship, I personally prefer 'larboard'. It sounds more pirate-y, don't-cha think-?

Thanks, Major.

Chuck said...

The word "larboard" is how I finally managed to learn the difference between port and starboard - larboard is port (left), and starts with an "l," just like (left).

Reading this at breakfast, I'm suddenly struck with the thought "why aren't there more tuna-flavored breakfast cereals?"

Melissa said...

What crisp, beautiful shots!

K. Martinez said...

Larboard, starboard, portside. No matter how many times I hear it, I still have to look it up each time to decipher the difference. I like your method of telling the difference, Chuck. I don't think I'll forget it moving forward. (l)arboard=port, (l)eft.

Love the bamboo and palm. A little of Adventureland in Fantasyland.

steve2wdw said...

Great shots (as usual)! The one thing I've never seen are photos of the inside of the ship. Do any even exist?

Major Pepperidge said...

Nanook, so much for me thinking, "Say, they'll really appreciate my correct use of 'port' and 'starboard'!". The answer is "NO!".

Chuck, luckily for me, the times I need to know either definition are … almost never! And be sure to try Trident's new tuna-flavored gum.

Melissa, the photographers had a good camera (with good lenses) and good old Kodachrome film. Both ingredients make all the difference.

K. Martinez, just use "starboard" and "larboard" 50 times each today, and you'll have them down pat!

steve2wdw, Daveland has some amazing interior pix HERE

Nanook said...

@ Dear All-

The way I first remembered the difference was simply that both 'left' & 'port' have four letters. And then, of course, the first time I really heard 'larboard" used was the auction scene in The Pirates of the Caribbean.

Melissa said...

A sailing friend of mine said to use the mnemonic, "When I got to the party, there was only port wine left."

(Of course, I had to yank his chain a little by repeating it back as, "When I got to the party, there was only port wine left on the sideboard.")

K. Martinez said...

@Nanook - That's kind of like remembering formal flatware settings. 'Left' & 'fork' have four letters. 'Right', 'spoon', and 'knife' have five letters.

Major Pepperidge said...

Nanook, I am still trying to remember which is "up" and which is "down". I think I remember the word "larboard" from one of the Patrick O'Brian books that I read many years ago.

Melissa, I wish I had a sailing friend. I just have the normal, crummy UNsailing kind. What a ripoff.

K. Martinez, I know lots of four letter words!

Chuck said...

Major - thanks for the Daveland link! I have only the vaguest of memories of the interior, but these shots confirm my memories are much less vague then I thought. That's vaguely comforting...

All this talk of tuna has me salivating for a little Chicken of the Sea (sorry, Charlie - Disneyland hooked me on another brand). I'm bummed we're having spaghetti tonight. :-(

TokyoMagic! said...

Haha, Major! Tuna-flavored Trident.....I "caught" that! ;-)

steve2wdw said...

Thanks for the Daveland link....I go to that site once in a while and always find the pics amazing. I love the menu with the tuna "dietetic" plate. Too funny.