Monday, October 01, 2012

Instamatic Installment

It's time for more Kodak Instamatic goodness! My pal "Mr. X" took these when he was a teenager, and generously gave the negatives to me. He's somewhat dismissive of them, but I think that he got a lot of interesting, different photographs!

I really like this unusual view, taken from the parking lot tram as it passes under the Monorail beamway. The 4-car blue Monorail train is returning to the park with a full load of happy Disneyland Hotel guests. 


The Disneyland Band appears to be leaderless as it marches through Tomorrowland. In the background is the 20,000 Leagues walk-thru; the many folding chairs imply that a musical act (Count Basie? Woody Herman?) will be performing there later.


Here's a nice photo of a Horse-drawn Streetcar on Main Street, just as the track splits into two (to allow two-way traffic when necessary). I'm not a "horse person" really, but that is a really neat animal!


7 comments:

Nanook said...

Unbeknownst to "Mr. X" at the time, while snapping-away on his Instamatic, he was making a great number of Disneyland fans very happy. He just had to wait several decades to discover his gift for capturing the more unusual angles of the park.

Each of his images has a knack for revealing a little something extra not often captured in the typical shot taken by the average park guest.

Thank you again, "Mr. X"

Melissa said...

Wow, the lines and angles in the first picture are amazing. That and the third one capture a real sense of movement.

K. Martinez said...

In the first pic, I remember standing in this area many a time to watch the first Monorails of the day glide by while I waited for Disneyland to open.

I love the second pic. Tomorrowland has a sort of World's Fair look to it. I love the flags and reflections in the glass panels.

The Horse-Drawn Streetcar pic is nice too. The red and white Carnation Ice Cream Parlor colors really stand out. All beautiful today!

Rich T. said...

These three pics all made me think of their associated sounds -- the approaching monorail, the marching band, the horse's clip-clop -- all Disneyland sonic icons! :)

It's fun to see the Alice poster in Tomorrowland, too!

Major Pepperidge said...

Nanook, I get such a kick out of this bunch of photos. Wait until you see the Tomorrowland construction pictures!

Melissa, I have gone through boxes of literally thousands of slides in which not ONE is any good, and my friend managed to take a lot of really great views.

K. Martinez, I especially love that first one… reminds me of how I felt as a kid when we first arrived.

Rich T., I've heard some vintage (1960's) recorded sounds from Disneyland, and it's those background sounds (train whistles & bells, the Monorail horn, waterfalls, and of course horse's hooves) that make it all so wonderful.

Anonymous said...

I really like the landscaping visible in the first pic.

Anonymous said...

Major, these photos from your friend are really wonderful. I like the way they highlight our favorite places in new ways. Instead of the standard "postcard" views that most photographers strive for, these have an unusual "you-are-there" sense that more crafted photos don't provide. The monorail and the horse cart are superb examples. thank you.

JG