Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Weeki Wachi Springs, Sarasota Florida

Weeki Wachi Springs is a tourist attraction that has been around since 1947. The springs had been there forever, but it was in '47 that an amphitheater was built, allowing people to view the underwater world through large glass windows (much like an aquarium). And what did you see (besides fish, turtles, and the occasional bloodthirsty manatee)? Mermaids! Some say they were really just healthy gals in form-fitting swimsuits. What's not to like?


What did the mermaids do? I have no idea. I think you'd watch them brush their hair, swim around in loopety-loops, and repair black and white TVs.


Waitacottonpickinminute, do mermaids wear scuba masks? Lame mermaids do. You can still visit Week Wachi Springs, which was designated a State Park in 2008.

9 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

"Well-built hand-picked honeys"....I still have that quote from the Parade Magazine you posted earlier this month stuck in my head.

The Viewliner Limited said...

Very, very cool Major! One of my all-time favorite places.

Major Pepperidge said...

TM, that IS a pretty good line! The whole thing manages to be demeaning, which is impressive.

Viewliner, how are you doing? I'm glad you liked this slice of Americana.

The Viewliner Limited said...

I love the slice of Americana Major. I am doing fine and thanks for asking. I am keeping very busy. So busy that it is hard for me to post everyday. But I will do my best.

cha cha said...

Lovely.. I was at Weeki Wachee in '09 and the Mermaid show is still amazing. . http://www.flickr.com/photos/scooterfox/sets/72157622830259336/

Major Pepperidge said...

Thanks for the link to your great photos, cha cha! I see that you are still using Kodachrome, where do you even get that developed any more??

JG said...

Whoa...hubba hubba.

You're in the swim Major...

JG

cha cha said...

nowhere now! got my last rolls back from Dwayne's Photo in Kansas last november, just before they shut down the last kodachrome developing machine. . . I miss it...

Ernie said...

I've been reading this blog and looking at all the pretty pictures almost constantly for the past week. You've got some great stuff in here. This particular post is the first one I've been able to contribute anything to, though. Weeki Wachi isn't in Sarasota. I live in Sarasota, and it would be nice if it were. (We've got an old car museum that you've covered elsewhere, though.) Weeki Wachi is a couple hours north of here, in it's own little city.