Sunday, July 03, 2011

Two From Calico, 1961

Way out in the Mojave desert, in the most out-of-the-way, most inhospitable, hottest, rockiest area possible, lies Calico Ghost Town. You can do a search of my blog for more pictures from there, but if you're lazy, you can just click on this link, this link, and maybe even this link.


These two photos were mixed in with a lot of junk. But hey, I like Calico Ghost Town! In this first photo, a handy sign informs us that we only have 1/4 of a mile to crawl before we get to Calico; why it's just around the bend! Notice that it also says "Restoration Project of Knott's Berry Farm". There are Many Interesting Shops (and a few boring ones).


Ah, I could use a good shave and a haircut. And a bath would be nice too. The water has only been used by three people today!


5 comments:

Chuck said...

Just back from Scout camp, and the personal hygiene facilities weren't much better...

Connie Moreno said...

These are great. As a kid, I wanted to visit Calico but nobody would take me. I didn't get there until the early 80's and the Knott's merchandise was everywhere.

Major Pepperidge said...

Chuck, the whole point of Scout camp is to get "back to nature"!

Connie, I'm surprised that there was Knott's merchandise in the 80's, since Walter Knott gave Calico to the county of San Bernardino in 1966. But I believe you!

TokyoMagic! said...

I've never been to Calico. Maybe I should plan a trip to see it....or did they tear most of it down in order to build a bunch of roller coasters, like at Knott's?

JG said...

@Chuck, LOL. Our camps much the same.

@TM, go to see it, I don't know who owns it now, but it is very much the same as in my distant youth. On my last trip there, 2004, I took pictures which Major posted on some of the above links with photos taken by others in the 1950's. Almost no change at all, definitely no roller coasters, and worth seeing.

Word to the wise. Go in March or April.

Major, these are great! The sign is something like that still, and I used to live in a rental like the second shot.

JG