Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Parade Magazine, 1961

I don't ordinarily do scans of magazines.... Mr. Vintage Disneyland Tickets already does such a good job of it. But I've had this issue of "Parade" magazine from March 26, 1961, for years, and decided to share it with you. It has a great cover photo featuring a quartet of tour guides, looking suitably wholesome. They beat up the Dapper Dans and are taking the bicycle built for four on a joy ride. Again.


President Kennedy also tells us the meaning of courage, but anybody who has seen The Wizard of Oz should already know. What makes a muskrat guard his musk? Courage!


The article is, disappointingly, a single page. As brief as it is, I like the fact that Roy Disney gets a mention (hooray for Roy!). I also like the term "Disneyettes" - the first time I've seen that one. They were paid a mere $2 an hour, fer cryin' out loud. But thanks to my handy-dandy inflation calculator, I can tell you that the equivalent for today would be just over $15 an hour, and that's not so bad.

I'm not sure I buy the tattoo story, or even Cicely Rigdon's story ("Honeychile"!), but they make for an fun article, anyway.


7 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

I don't think I've ever seen those outfits before for the tour guides. Or should I just call them "well-built hand-picked honeys"?

Chuck said...

Hey - that's the same criteria I used in selecting my wife!

Major Pepperidge said...

TM!, yeah, the language used would not fly today. But that's part of the charm!

Chuck, does your wife still wear a plaid skirt?

Connie Moreno said...

What a neat look back. What a crack-up. Those outfits! Do ya think they earn $15 an hour now??

Chuck said...

You bet - and rrrrrowr, does she look good in it...

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Where's the advertisements - lol!

Great cover photo - WOW - Those hats!

JG said...

Sorry Chuck, thread is worthless without pics.

Major, you've done a great job with the magazine, i think VDT has competition.

JG