Monday, July 11, 2011

Lush Frontierland, June 1962

Today's photos show a Frontierland practically swallowed up by the riotous growth of plants after a mere 7 years. Combine Southern California's warm, sunny climate with plenty of water, and watch your trees and shrubs go nuts!


Compare this first photo...


... to a similar angle from 1956!


There are at least 5 elk (elks?) in this photo, and 3 elephants. Can you find them all?


And finally, a view of Fort Wilderness, mostly hidden by trees. You'd need a crafty scout to lead you to this safe haven.


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Elk is the plural form.

That settler's cabin burned, but it never burned down.

Anonymous said...

Stop spamming the Major, "Alan".

Anonymous said...

I only see two elephants. But later today, after I start my regular afternoon drinking, I expect I'll see some more.

Connie Moreno said...

WOW!! I love those first two photos! What a change!

Katella Gate said...

I found two Elks, a Shriner, and an Odd Fellow, plurals be damned.

Thufer said...

Only at Disneyland is watching the 'grass' grow considered an organized sport.
Love it.

Major Pepperidge said...

I figured it was "elk". The plural of moose is "meese".

Anonymous from 5:42, I deleted "Alan's" comment (I WILL delete spam), but thank you for sticking up for me! Now I'm the only person who will understand your comment, but that's OK.

I can't believe you guys can't see the third elephant, he's so obvious.

Maybe I should have done "then and now" comparisons for the other photos as well! Wah-wahhhhh (sad trombone)....

TokyoMagic! said...

Well, I'm late to the party....Katella, you made me laugh out loud. Are the Odd Fellows still around? Such a strange name for a group. Major, I circled all of the hidden animals in the photo with a Sharpie, but it's okay...it's erasable!

JG said...

What Katella Gate said.

Wonderful views. Everything grows faster in SC.

JG

Katella Gate said...

Tokyo, yes the International Order of Odd Fellows is still in business.. wanna join? I gather they got their name because they were open to members who "didn't fit in" at other fraternal organizations.