Sunday, November 22, 2009

The North Pole

Can you believe that Thanksgiving is only a few days away? I can't. And that means that I am completely unprepared for Christmas, as always. So far I have yet to hear Christmas songs in a store, but then again, I haven't been in too many stores recently.

Anyway, today seemed like a good day to post these slightly mysterious slides featuring a Christmas-themed kiddie park, in Somewheresville, USA. They are undated, unlabeled, and unsalted. As you can see in this first slide, there are no giant psychedelic mushrooms a lá "Santa's Village". And yet, there's Santa himself standing in front of his house. Those conifer-covered mountains sure feel like California...


There's the famous North Pole, covered in ice 365 days a year no matter how hot it gets. Don't put your tongue on it! Not only is the mere idea disgusting, but then you'll stick to it, and they'll have to cut you free with a pair of rusty scissors. An assortment of characters has assembled around the Pole for some dark and bloody purpose forgotten by time. I recognize Little Miss Muffet, Red Riding Hood, Mary and her little lamb. Any guesses as to who the others are supposed to be?


Here's a closer look at Santa's house; it's crowded, but I think people just want to get out of that blazing high altitude sun.


Awwww, baby goats! They're adorable, aren't they? The adult goats are nowhere to be seen, but I did notice that the hot dogs had a goaty aftertaste. I'm sure it's just a coincidence. Instead of a handful of Purina goat chow, you get to nurse the kids with bottles of milk.

14 comments:

Chiana_Chat said...

Well (and I am, thanks) Maj, I love a woodsy setting and I get a kick out of your commentary. So consider me a happy camper on this curious excursion.

Pegleg Pete said...

I'm fairly certain that this is 'North Pole' at the foot of Pike's Peak in Colorado. It's been open since 1956 and I remember passing by the place on a family vacation in the mid-70s. The photo of Santa's house on their website (http://www.santas-colo.com/) matches the pics in today's blog perfectly.

Matterhorn1959 said...

Having been to North Pole in Colorado Springs, I concur with Pegleg Pete. One of the tip offs is the stairs in front of Santa's House. This amusement park is still going strong and is a blast to visit.

Major Pepperidge said...

Thanks to Pegleg Pete for the identification! I've had these slides for many years and it's been driving me crazy not being able to figure out where this is. Thanks to Matterhorn for the confirmation too! And thanks to Chiana for being happy.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Baby goats always make me think of Christmas? "Goaty aftertase" Yum, yum!

Wow, I never thought of the North Pole as an actual POLE??? Simple, yet effective...

I heard Christmas music on 103.5 and 99.9 a couple days ago, when it was 90 in the valley, huh?

TokyoMagic! said...

I like these pics, Major! It's nice to know that some smaller attractions like this still exist today. Now I wannna go visit the North Pole park!

Jim said...

Nice but it's no Santa's Village. Now THAT was a Christmas themed theme park. Any shots of that long lost Lake Arrowhead gem Major?

Unknown said...

This is definitely the long lost Lake Arrowhead theme park of Santa's Village. I have pictures of these same things (I will post when I find them) from the 60's. You probably can google it and find some of the same images from there.

Major Pepperidge said...

Jim, if you do a search on my blog, you will see some other photos of the Lake Arrowhead Santa's Village, and I have some others to scan someday.

dorisk8s, I'm afraid that today's post isn't Santa's Village, see Pegleg Pete's comment above. I am absolutely sure that he is correct, these are photos of the North Pole and Santa's Workshop in Colorado.

Rich T. said...

I think the two characters on the left are Violet Beauregard and Betty Rubble. :) Man, that lamb has no respect for personal space!

Major, thanks for all the great shots you post. This is the best blog on the planet.

Honeymoon bed breakfast said...

Thanksgiving is such a fun holiday that gets so overlooked, but I think of Halloween as the start of the holidays really. I mean, holidays are more than just one...and it's more than just Christmas.

Regards,

The Viewliner Limited said...

OK Major, I have the answer to this one. This is Santa's Workshop and Village near Wilmington, New York. I will send you a picture via email.

S Major said...

I don't think this is the one near Wilmington NY (close to Lake Placid). I was just there with the kids today. Although they do have a never-melting North Pole too, the surrounding buildings aren't the same and Santa's house has a completely different entrance.

Major Pepperidge said...

S Major - well, I guess this one is going to remain a mystery! Thanks for your input.