Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Color Versus Black and White!

Mixed in among a nice lot of color and black and white snapshots from 1959 were these fun examples. I can only assume that both mom and dad had cameras, one with color film, the other B&W. Makes sense, right?

Here's a terrific photo of two cute kids posing with Aunt Jemima in front of her pancake house. I don't know what an ice cream wafflet is, but for only 25 cents, I'll take three!


Apparently our two photographers were standing about 8 feet apart and snapped their photos at almost the same time (notice that Auntie's eyes are open here!). The boy still has his guided tour sticker on his shirt. I can't decide which photo I like better!


In these next two, we see Trinidad, the famous "white wing" surveying the nearly-deserted Town Square. He's done a great job, that street looks spotless!


And here's the companion shot in color. With the exception of the slight change in perspective, they are VERY similar. Notice the Liberty Square facade in the background (It's a lie!), with the Rocket to the Moon peeking up from behind it. Is that Civil War canon still there? I don't recall seeing it.

8 comments:

Chiana_Chat said...

That Civil War cannon was just there in case Abe became too lifelike. You can tell from its position that it is Confederate.

Just some nice clean '50's folks around on Town Square. Nope, nothing for Trinidad to do but stand and ponder if he shouldn't try to hit up Walt for a raise next time he comes out of that firehouse while gazing in wonder at who is going to sweep that new mountain.

Aunt Jemima pic is so cute. Suddenly Aunt Jemima doesn't seem so corporate to me... and I'd wage a guess the maple syrup, Aunt Jemima mix and the waffles were better then.

Hm it is interesting seeing the two shots like this. Neat idea Maj. :)

Daveland said...

Excellent photos! And yes, the canon is still there. Major: make your New Year's resolution a trip to the park - you are way overdue!

TokyoMagic! said...

Chiana, too funny about the cannon and sweeping the Matterhorn!

Very interesting pics today. Your right about those first pics being taken at almost the same moment....maybe even just one second apart. The boy is looking at whoever was standing on the left in the first pic and he's still looking in that same direction in the second pic. So did mom and dad take double shots of everything throughout the whole trip???

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Great post, love to compare the two types of film... BUT -----> "ICE CREAM WAFFELETTS" I don't know what those are except to say I know I WANT ONE or TWO or THREE!

Anonymous said...

Very unique, I don't know of any other comparison photos like this. Notice Trinadad is in EXACTLY the same position? I can't remember the last time Town Square looked so empty.

Mike said...

I remember reading somewhere that those cannons belonged to the French army and were never used in battle. There is some great backstory to how they came to Disneyland but I can't recall where I read it.

Chiana_Chat said...

VDT, I want one too! OR three or four... we needs to rediscover that Vintage Disneyland Dish and make us some huh?

Mike, now you mention it I think I read something like that but don't remember where either.

Vaughn said...

If those cannons were once owned by the French army, they would have an attachment for white flags!