Thursday, November 12, 2009

Around Frontierland, 1957

Here are three blue-skied beauties from Frontierland!

Harper's Mill is as picturesque as can be on this sunny day. The crooked chimney is a nice touch; Rainbow Ridge and the Skyway are visible in the distance. And hey, here comes a canoe!


See, I told you. Genuine Indian guides make sure that you will make it through the wilderness without getting lost; two li'l buckaroos up front have their cowboy hats on as if they were part of the show. The river looks like it is made out of jello, only the slightest ripples mar the glassy surface.


In this view (from a Keelboat?) we see Chief Wavey. He waves and waves. At this point he only had a few feathers; maybe his impressive war bonnet was at the dry cleaners.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The sorely-missed grist mill (try saying that ten times in a row) on Disneyland's Tom Sawyer Island was neither entitled nor referred to as "Harper's Mill."

TokyoMagic! said...

It looks like there are people in that canoe that aren't working! Some look like they don't even have oars. Were guests given an option back then of rowing or not rowing?

Major Pepperidge said...

Anonymous, I know that I didn't make up the "Harper's Mill" appellation myself. I looked at my old 50's souvenir TSI map, and sure enough, it is merely referred to as "Old Mill". However, MANY websites refer to it as "Harper's Mill", for whatever that's worth (which isn't much, I admit).

The Florida version does have that name (it seems to be official), maybe the Disneyland mill acquired it by osmosis. Now I'll have to do some research!

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

I've seen over 1/2 the folks in the canoe doing nothing before, heck I've seen it where the two CM's are doing everything. I think the guests helping is mostly for show, not that I have ever been on the canoes so what to I know?

Hmm, I thought it was "Harpers Mill" too, but as you know, I'm too lazy to research it, let me know what you find out :-) Btw, awesome photo of the "mill"!

Jason Schultz said...

Major: The earliest reference I have to "Harper's Mill" is Disneyland: The Nickel Tour. One source refers to it as the "Fantasmic!" staging area. Based on this, I think "Harper's Mill" didn't get its name until the early 1990s, when the "Old Mill" changed.

Chiana_Chat said...

The mill, river, Rainbow Ridge buildings on the hill and Horseshoe building etc, very elaborate isn't it, without adding all the cool conveyances.

Dry cleaners! Nah just a spell of low inventory at Crockett's Mercantile.

PS I didn't know that about the name either... 'Old Mill' it is then!