Sunday, November 01, 2009

Frontierland in Black and White, 1959

It's vintage snapshot time; those little black and white photos that somehow seem to capture moments that were even more fleeting than the ones found in color slides. Maybe it's because they feel so "antique"? Anyway, all of today's photos involve Tom Sawyer Island in some way.

There's the island. How the heck are we supposed to get over there, swim? Nope, you can hop on one of those handy rafts for a brief trip across the river; that's one of the landings to the right.


The fishing dock is deserted, maybe they weren't biting that day. You can see one of the entrances to the mysterious caves, as well as Tom's Treehouse at the top of the picture.


Darn those squirmy kids, they don't want to pose for a picture when there's so much to do, so many interesting places to explore! I'm sure that this brother and sister would love to have a REAL treehouse like this. Come to think of it, so would I.


Here's a shot of the Mark Twain churning towards home. The photo was taken from one of the riverside trails, and it's a mighty fine sight!

3 comments:

Chiana_Chat said...

Hey I kinda like that 'Twain shot too. And I'd love a treehouse like that! :)

Katella Gate said...

I tend to like the B&W shots better too. Mostly because the film captures a lot of detail, even if it's a small print.

With color, you trade that detail, and it just doesn't stand the scrutiny. The other problem with more recent prints (esp. the ones taken in the 70's)it that it's printed on that novelty "cloth/canvas" stock. That absolutely destroys the image in my opinion.

TokyoMagic! said...

I have several treehouse shots like that of my brother and me that my dad took over the years....except we aren't convulsing in the photos!