Thursday, November 19, 2009

Disneyland Entrance, 1957

A day at Disneyland involves waiting in lines, everybody knows that. I was just thinking that after waiting in line to get your parking pass (in your car of course), and then waiting for the tram, the ticket booths were already your third queue of the day. Not that anybody was complaining; the sense of anticipation was as thick as fluffernutter. Christmas decorations are apparent, and nearly everyone is wearing coats and sweaters, so in spite of the bright sun and blue sky, there is a slight chill in the air. The clock reads 10:30, so the park has probably been open for a half hour, and it looks like a busy day. The little boy to the left is hauling a brown leather(ette) case that's pretty large. Could it be dad's movie camera?


This second photo was presumably an attempt to capture the C.K. Holliday as it passed by. It came out blurry, bub. But that's OK, I still like it!


----------------------------------------------------------------------------
By request, here is a closeup of that mystery poster to the left. Believe me, I tried to figure out what it was! I think I can discern a stylized train, and is that Donald Duck? I also can make out the last two letters of a word: "...VE". Here's my theory! This could be a poster for a toy drive for needy children. It is around Christmas time after all, and I believe that I've seen photos of Walt involved in a charity toy drive. I'd love it if somebody could find a clear picture of the full poster!

7 comments:

Chiana_Chat said...

mmm fluffernutter!

"This second photo was presumably an attempt to capture the C.K. Holliday as it passed by."

Nope, shot of Dad striking his most commanding stride in his finest black suit & spitshined shoes. ;)

Chris Merritt said...

I wonder what that poster was in the bottom left of the first image...?

Matterhorn1959 said...

A request Major- close up of the poster in the bottom left of the first image! Chris and I want to know what that poster is!

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

That leather bag is huge, must be a nice camera! That striped curb is bit of a distraction, I guess it was to keep people from driving right up to the ticket booth, thereby skipping the tram line!

Yes, what is that poster, Christmas Parade?

THANKS MAJOR!

Chris Jepsen said...

Yep, that's the Toys For Tots logo on that poster.

outsidetheberm said...

If memory serves, the Disney Studio designed that train logo for the marine Corps Toys for Tots campaign in the late 1940s. Chris J - can you verify?

Nancy said...

i wanna go to Disneyland! a pretty train, that C.K. Holliday

a belated happy birthday to Mickey Mouse, whose birthday was yesterday :)