Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Attendant & Guides

I have two fun employee photos today! Let's start with this first picture from July 17, 1968. July 17, why does that date ring a bell? Anyway, I love this image of a pretty parking lot attendant in her candy-striped outfit, accented with a red carnation, red stockings and her red jockey cap. And how can we ignore the riding crop, to help her point. At least I hope that's what it was for. In the background, it appears that a tram has just dropped off a load of passengers, and they are all headed towards the ticket booths. The curving Monorail beamway is supported by columns covered in attraction posters, whoo-ee!


Now we step back in time to August 28 1965, for a look at three cheerful tour guides. Their outfits are interesting, clearly designed to maximize their visibility on a crowded day. I guarantee that nobody else will be dressed like them! A propeller on top of their caps would have been a nice touch.

12 comments:

Chiana_Chat said...

Can't help but suspect that riding crop was to beat the guys off, especially those feeling too young from exposure to Disneylandis.

MIKE COZART said...

How funny that you had "costume" theme post for today. I did several Tomorrowland costume posts today as well on my Tomorrowlounge.blogspot.com......and some rare attraction poster images on my Disney Park Attraction poster blog---including the rare PeopleMover Thru Tron poster! Love the costume pixs! Do you have more to post??

Capt. Tomorrow said...

A riding crop isn't as clumsy or random as a blaster; a more elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

Matterhorn1959 said...

Hey Major- the images all feature tour guides. The first shot is a tour guide who would stand by the ticket windows answering questions as well as trying to get guests to purchase the guided tour. Fantastic images.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

First photo, love the lady and her whip and the 68 Corvair and the parking lot!

Second photo; why are they so short or is it just the camera angle?

Katella Gate said...

LOL @ Capt. Tomorrow.

Jason Schultz said...

Vintage costume photos are always great... although I'm surprised Cicely let the middle guide in the second photo go On Stage. There should be a two finger gap between the name tag and D pin!

Katella Gate said...

Progressland: You're griping about name tag spacing? On the Queen Mary, we had problems just getting our tour guides to put on underwear.

Major Pepperidge said...

Mike, I have a few other employee pix, including some lovely ladies from the Tahitian Terrace!

Matterhorn, the slide was labeled "parking lot attendant", so that's what I went with! But thank you for the correction.

Tim, I know, I was going to comment on how tiny those three guides are. You could carry them around in your pocket.

And Jason, hopefully the middle guide (and the one to the right) were fired shortly after this picture was taken!

The Viewliner Limited said...

Fantastic pictures. Pretty girls at Disneyland... an added attraction. Thanks.

Nancy said...

what a great job that would be!!

i would fit right in with the lovely ladies in red, being a petite person myself ;)

a very cool post today!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm ...

I don't believe that the lady on the first pic holds a crop in her back. Seems more to me like a purse/bag hanging from a long strap!

Only female tour guides carry crops at Disney parks.
In a previous life, I was a tour guide at WDW and, being a man, I never got to use a crop ... during my guided tours!