Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Art Corner "Squeaker" Postcards

It's souvenir time again; today I'm featuring some wonderful Art Corner postcards. These are known as "squeakers", because there is a small air bladder sandwiched in between the front and back pieces of the postcard (so they're about 1/2" thick in the middle). Give it a squeeze, and it squeeks! Some fun, eh kids?

Chip and Dale are "Riding High" at Disneyland. I know some of you out there can relate. Those two mischievous chipmunks have left Donald Duck's backyard choo-choo alone now that they can play with the shiny new Monorail.


This card is one of my favorites. As you can see, Jiminy Cricket is trying out the Flying Saucers! This one can be pretty hard to find, and I love it because of the fantastic artwork, and because it relates to the Saucers. Other than a few other postcards (and the rare attraction poster) I can't think of any other Saucer-related souvenirs.


Professor Ludwig Von Drake first appeared on Walt Disney's "Wonderful World of Color" in 1961, and was famously voiced by none other than Paul Frees. On this squeaker, he continues his role as a teacher and mentor, helpfully recommending Disneyland to his criminally insane viewers.

9 comments:

Chiana_Chat said...

Too cute. I happen to relate to riding on top of the shiny monorails but in reality bugs are a problem. Kids, do not take Chip'n'Dale as examples!

Instead, let your conscience be your guide and trip the light fantastic on a flying saucer!

Nancy said...

these are so cool...

i am definitely ready for a ride on the Monorail AND the flying saucers. the Professor's message comes thru loud and clear!

thanks for sharing these ;)

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Jiminy on the Flying Saucers is just too cool and my favorite as well. I only have one squeaker and air bladder got dried out so it just goes "crunch" instead of "squeak" How did these hold up?

Matt said...

I've always loved the squeaker cards, you could never mail something like that these days of automated postal equipment. And I've never seen that flying saucer card ever!

Anonymous said...

These - Chip and Dale, Jiminy Cricket and Professor Von Drake are three of my most favorite Disney characters. I actually saw a Chip and Dale cartoon on the Disney Channel yesterday - it was the one where they are digging up Donald Duck's acorns that he is planting for oak trees.
And BTW - I did get to ride on those flying saucers :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting some of my favorite cards in my collection. And, yes, there are several other Flying Saucer postcards of the actual attraction.

Katella Gate said...

"Riding High at Disneyland": It captures all the innocence of 1959, doesn't it?

By 1969, they changed the wording because of drug references.

By 1979, they changed the squirrels' posture because of newly discovered sexual innuendo.

By 1989, the squeaker came off to conform to US Postal Service Regulations.

By 1999, the card was withdrawn from sale over worries that kids might actually climb on the top of the monorail for a ride.

The replacement card was blank white stock with the word "Disneyland" and a price of $14.14

... none of this is true of course, but it could be.

Major Pepperidge said...

I'm glad so many of you enjoyed these!

Tim, I've often wondered how these squeakers still squeak after so long, but all of mine do.

Katella Gate, I'm starting to think that you aren't a fan of lawyers!!

Anonymous said...

Katella Gate, are you certain all that isn't true? It certainly sounds true enough.