Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Up a Lazy River, November 1958

What should I post on the day before Thanksgiving? I have no idea! With nothing super-spectacular in my "scanned" folder, I thought I would share some lovely, sunny photos from Frontierland. They're familiar as heck, but so pretty that I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Let's begin with this dreamy, hazy look at the Rivers of America in 1958. As is often the case, the Columbia is dry docked in Fowler's Harbor; animatronic barnacles and vinyl weeds were being scraped off. In the foreground, two raftsmen (my fingers originally typed "fartsmen" all on their own) touch hands like they are in a Michaelangelo fresco. The mast from a third raft is in the lower left foreground - there was a landing for the rafts right next to the Plantation House, at the junction of the Rivers of America and the Rivers of the World.


Just when I think my brain can't handle another photo of the Mark Twain, I get this beauty. Vesey Walker and the Disneyland Band are waiting for just the right moment to break into song. The old bandstand that jutted out into the river can be seen to our right. Looking carefully into the distance, we can even see Skyway buckets and the tower that was on Holiday Hill.


Well, friends, I will be going out of town for the next few days. But I’ll try to check in when possible. There will be new posts for you every day!

9 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

These are two beauties today, Major! If you tried to recreate that same camera angle from the first photo, you'd have a good view of both the Mickey and Friends parking structure and Ewok Alley.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, Major!

Chuck said...

If this is 1958, those animatronic barnacles and vinyl weeds may have been in the final stages of being applied for the first time. I don't ever recall seeing those large logs or beams across the entrance to the drydock before.

TM! Ewok Alley. Brilliant.

BTW - was out of town and unable to wish everyone a "Happy Life Day" last Saturday. Forty years later and I still can't get those images out of my head. Ugh...I feel like I need a shower...

Steve DeGaetano said...

That pic of the Mark Twain is certainly none of the better ones I've seen!

JC Shannon said...

Beautiful scans today. Wouldn't it be fun if we could all have Thanksgiving in Walt's Apartment. We could eat on the Terrace and look out at what's left of ROA. I could finally put a face to all of you. Oh well, I can dream.

@Chuck, There are just some things you can't unsee!

Happy and safe Thanksgiving to all. Thanks Major.

zach said...

I saw The Fartsmen play at the Tomorrowland Terrace in the late 60's.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

dz

DrGoat said...

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone...enjoy.

JC Shannon said...

I forgot to mention, turkey always makes me raft!

Anonymous said...

Came in for the raft jokes, not disappointed.

I like the pale pastel effects of these photos, not sure if it's the age of the film, or the era photographed, but it's a mild, restful feeling.

Did the restaurant patio block pedestrian traffic to the shore beyond? Almost looks like the pedestrians can't get to Fowler's Harbor?

Thank you Major for your efforts in supplying quality Disney image entertainment to your devoted fans through the holiday. Have a great time with your family and friends.

Cheers to all and a Happy Thanksgiving.

JG

Sunday Night said...

As usual everyone's gone to the top deck of the MT. In a daydream I see myself staying on the lower deck and in honor of my decision, Vesey is asking me to sit in with the band and play the spoons. We are playing "Up A Lazy River". Just wait until they hear my solo!

Happy Thanksgiving all!