Sunday, September 29, 2013

Two From Main Street, 1957

Two boys pose with their grandma at the Hub - the point around which all of Disneyland rotates. You knew that the park rotated, didn't you? The kid with his belt up around his belly button is my hero - he reminds me of Vern from the movie "Stand By Me". I always like views of the castle with the old ice cream vendors out front. Over to the right is a small hill that would eventually become the location of the Snow White Grotto and the wishing well.


Everybody is bundled up (California style), so it must be Wintertime. The Disneyland Band surrounds the flagpole - not sure if they played there at noon, or when the flag was raised in the morning, or what.


5 comments:

Nanook said...

Major-

Vern - indeed-! (I was thinking the same thing). And let's not forget 'Grandma's' clear purse. I guess she had to leave her reefers at home on that day.

Thanks, Major.

Katella Gate said...

I know I've said this before, but you really come to appreciate the effort and money put into landscaping the park when you look at the early pictures.

Honestly, that flower bed in the first picture looks like it was planted with dandelions. Also, notice how "unfestive" the triangle looks with just grass in the planters.

Melissa said...

I think I remember those two boys from another picture - the one looking like he's off on safari, and the other looking like he's off to a funeral. Maybe it's just déjà vu.

Melissa said...

I knew I had seen those boys and their Grandma before! Here they are posing with Uncle Monstro!

Major Pepperidge said...

Melissa, yep, those are the same boys!