Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Leftuggies

Every few weeks (or months) I find myself with a few leftover scans (my mom calls leftovers "leftuggies"); today I am going to share a few of them!

You might remember two other images that went with this first photo, but those featured the Viewliner (or parts of the Viewliner, anyway). Here, we can see one of the small trestle bridges for the 'liner, but it's the Motor Boats that get star billing. Putt putt!


Here's another one that has a much more interesting sibling; in the other photo, you get a pretty good look at the Haunted Mansion under construction. Here, the Mark Twain has moved in front of the Mansion, making for a much less-interesting shot.


Over in Adventureland, the sound of drums is generally something you don't want to hear. Or at least that's what I've learned from lots of B movies. The natives are looking forward to adding some new shrunken heads to their collection (which is right next to their wall of "MOC" Star Wars figures). The tree trunk in the foreground looks like it might have been salvaged from the original orange and walnut groves where Disneyland was built - or perhaps it is a cement (or fiberglass) copy.


I hope you have enjoyed your serving of Leftuggies!

7 comments:

K. Martinez said...

Nice Viewliner trestle shot. I love early dirt landscape photos of Disneyland.

In the second pic is something I never noticed before. What is the white stage/platform in the water on the left side of the image just behind the Mark Twain?

Love them leftuggies.

Nanook said...

@ K. Martinez-

How's about the Mark Twain loading dock-?

K. Martinez said...

@Nanook -

I thought about that, but it's too high above the water level and the Mark Twain/Columbia landing is further north, probably where this photo was taken from.

The platform looks closer to where the old gazebo used to be across from Aunt Jemima's Kitchen(River Belle Terrace) area.

Melissa said...

Dad, I think Mom and the girls are playing Chinese Spies behind us again.”

“That's OK, Billy. You and I can just play U.S. Navy up here. Hard to starboard, sailor!”

“But, Dad...”

“I said hard to starboard! You remember how to remember port and starboard, maggot?”

“Yessir. When I got to the party...”

“I can't hear you, Donald Duck! You remember how to remember port and starboard?”

“Sir, when I got to the party, there was only port wine left right on the sideboard, sir!”

“Sailor, you are not fit to swab this deck with your little brother's training pants.”

“Sir, you don't know how glad I am to hear that, sir. Dad?”

“That's CAPTAIN DAD to you, meatbag! Now go get a haircut!”

“Er, Captain Dad?”

“That's ADMIRAL DAD to you, hairball! Now go grow a mustache!”

“Dad, I'm not sure that's our sisters back there with Mom. Everything's so blurry, I can't tell. It kind of looks like the Osmond brothers with a bad TV reception. I never should have taken that sip of your special Coke. The only reason I can tell it's you is that you're the only one here less fit to drive than I am, your face is redder than your shirt, and nobody else calls me "meatbag." And I only know it's Mom because of the Chinese hat.”

“Heh, heh, heh. Nobody loves a good game of Chinese Spies like your Mom, Last night after you kids were in bed, we got out the Other Little Red Book, the one with the diagrams, and we tried the Double Dragon...”

“Dad, I mean Dadmiral, I mean Admiral Dad, stop it! Haven’t you got a plank I could walk or something?”

“Nope. We had to use it to replace the sideboard.”

*cue Leftuggies theme song*

Nancy said...

Yummy!!! :-D

Major Pepperidge said...

K. Martinez, it almost looks like another temporary bandstand area, though it is hard to say for sure. Obviously some construction is going on in the area.

Nanook, I don't think it's the loading dock…

K. Martinez again, I agree that it looks to be where that old gazebo/bandstand was. I think I had another photo that showed some construction in that area, but I'll be darned if I can remember when it was posted. It might not have even been from the same year.

Melissa, the Leftuggies theme song is basically the Duck Tales theme song in Portuguese.

Nancy, they are better with gravy.

Snow White Archive said...

Gotta like the putt-putts.