Thursday, September 26, 2013

Jungleland USA - August 1963

Good old Jungleland USA; it probably doesn't mean a thing to 99% of GDB's readers, but I have a soft spot in my heart for this charming little animal park (formerly located in beautiful Thousand Oaks, California).

I didn't remember that there were giraffes at Jungleland. Did you know that giraffes were originally called "cameleopards"? It's true! Ostriches were called "turkeysauruses". (I made that up). I like the detail of the waterfall cascading down the hillside.


This bear just loves to play in water. And on a hot day, I'm sure more than a few people wished they could jump in and join him. Don't do it, people from the past!


A variety of birds enjoy another pond - ducks, geese, flamingos, secretary birds (I think), all living together in peace and harmony. It's beautiful, man! I love the rustic look of Jungleland.


5 comments:

Melissa said...

"Turkeysaurus" is the PERFECT word for ostrich. Zombie Ben Franklin approves.

If you guys need me, I'm gonna go back in time and wait for that adorable bebeh b'ar to go sleep in his little soapdish thing at the top of the picture.

K. Martinez said...

Love the chicken wire.

Major Pepperidge said...

Melissa, I guess he must be a baby, he does look pretty small (or that slide is really large). There's something about the green water that worries me!

K. Martinez, you are probably the only person on the planet to say that sentence today!

outsidetheberm said...

Looking back, there seemed to be a lot of green water at Jungleland...

If you ever find a picture of the Jungleland Swan Boats, Major, please share!

D. McEwan said...

I only got to visit Jungleland once, but it was a memorable experience, and remains the only time I've had the experience of riding a live elephant.