Friday, September 20, 2013

Tomorrowland X 2

Today we will stand at the entrance to Tomorrowland. But we won't go in! It's OK, these pictures make me happy anyway.

First up is this crisp shot from 1958. The little ice cream stand to our right is doing boffo biz; even grandma and grandpa (center) enjoy their frozen treats. Grandma is traditional and likes her ice cream on a stick, while gramps prefers his in sammich form. Meanwhile, the original Tomorrowland (pre-Submarines and Monorail) beckons me.... but all I do is bump my forehead on my monitor. Frowny face. 


Now it's September, 1959. The focus is a bit soft, but you can still see some changes from the previoius year. The decorative flags add a festive air to the world of tomorrow, and that's because of all those new attractions that were built in a stunningly short time span. And of course the new attractions are advertised with some fabulous posters - the first two on the left are for the Submarine Voyage and the Matterhorn. To the right, I can juuuust make out another Sub poster, as well as a silvery Monorail poster.


NOTE: I will be at Disneyland today! It's been a while. So please forgive me for not responding to comments. I will read and reply to all of them tomorrow! 

9 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

Have fun at the park today, Major!

K. Martinez said...

Have a great time today! Looking forward to your trip report.

Alonzo P Hawk said...

By 59' when the new attractions went in I think it's popularity started to dip a bit. But when the park opened in 55' that ice cream cart was listed as a Tomorrowland attraction due to lack of overall interest in the area.
B ticket for plain. C ticket for nuts. Thrills, chills but please no spills.

JG said...

Major, have fun today.

JG

Nancy said...

Hope you are having a wonderful time at Disneyland! Wish that I could be there, too.

This view of Tomorrowland is the best! :-)

Irene said...

Hope you are having a great time - wonderful weather, not too hot. And, I missed you by one day as I was there yesterday :(

Alonzo P Hawk said...

How could he not have a good day. It's like that old saying "The worst day at Disneyland is better than the best day working".

K. Martinez said...

@APH -

I don't know. I've had a couple of bad days at Disneyland that were worse than a day at work. It can happen.

Melissa said...

Any picture of the Giant Jigger makes my day! Have a great yestrday at Disneyland, Major.