Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Town Square & Rooftop, 1966

Here's a nice shot of Town Square, looking toward City Hall. You can see some red, white and blue bunting on the light poles, so I am going to guess that these were from around the 4th of July. It's pretty empty for a summer day. Water fountain alert! There seems to be something going on to our left...


... why, it's a tour guide and her minions. "Walt Disney totally said that Disneyland would never be finished or something, and he once said that Disneyland was my land. He also said some other stuff that I will never forget. Any questions?". That's how I would do it. They are huddled beneath the shade of a tree, another clue that it was summer.


When riding the Skyway, not many people were inspired enough by this view to snap a photo. But it has some interesting details, like the Disneyland Hotel in the distance, and the sail of the Columbia peeking up over the trees. Or the series of missile tubes on the roof in case the Russkies get any ideas. 



8 comments:

Alonzo P Hawk said...

OMG there are no ugly safety rails on the roof!!! How did the workers ever keep from falling off. Thanks Cal Osha for making the park soo much safer(and 10x uglier).

K. Martinez said...

Some people think them ugly, but I love the rooftops of Disneyland. Those views from the Skway were magical. I especially loved the steam vents from the Tomorrowland Terrace/America the Beautiful building. Those things never bothered me because I always viewed and enjoyed Disneyland as a mechanical/technical wonderland of design more than a convincing fantasy.

Interesting how the theming stops just out of eye-view of guests walking on street level. The brickwork stops on any surface area facing inward on the roof of the eastside dark ride building.

Major Pepperidge said...

Alonzo, I almost fell out of my chair just looking at that dangerous roof top!

K. Martinez, the rooftops aren't pretty, but I'm like you, I always liked the "behind the scenes" views. In fact, nowadays I would find it even MORE interesting; unfortunately the Skyway is gone....

Snow White Archive said...

The group is fascinated with the tree not because of its shade but with the fact that it was the last living cast member from Walt's 1932 "Flowers and Trees" short. Sadly, it was cut down not long after this photo to make room for a safety rail.

The rooftop shot is actually quite fresh and interesting.

Melissa said...

Especially the rooftops of Fantasyland - there's so much variety of shape, color, and level. You can imagine the Seven Dwarfs doing some adorable yet kickass parkour up there.

JG said...

That roof was endlessly fascinating to me. I kept looking for scorch marks left by the fireworks.

What a great picture.

JG

Nancy said...

I have at least 1 rooftop picture from the Skyway of Fantasyland at Walt Disney World. I also like to see behind the scenes, the building of, the making of featurettes on dvds, all that kind of thing!

I wonder if the tour group caught the Omnibus and then had an Osmond-style singalong on their way to the Hub?! ;-)

CoxPilot said...

Didn't you know; the round vents are actually a giant pipe organ played by the 7 dwarfs.