Wednesday, September 16, 2009

POSTERAMA 10 (special black light edition)

At last, it's the event that nobody has been waiting for!

I am a Disneyland attraction poster enthusiast, no doubt about it. Way back in June, I shared a photo of my "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" poster; in the comments, Tim of Vintage Disneyland Tickets wondered how it might look under a black light. SO... I dusted off my old black light, and set up several posters to see what kind of results I could get. It was tricky, and due to the long exposure times (about 25 seconds!), a tripod was an absolute necessity. But it was a fun experiment, and the outcome was interesting.

First off, let's see that 20K Leagues poster! As you can see, only the pink lettering fluoresces. Something tells me that the poster was never displayed under a black light; the hot-pink ink was probably used because it "pops" nearly as much in daylight. (Chris, when you return we need to check your poster again!).


Now this is more like it! The rare "Space Station X-1" poster looks pretty amazing thanks to the magic of ultraviolet light! Due to the black background, it looks fairly "glowy" even under regular illumination... but there is something wonderful about the little "city lights" on Earth's surface glowing like tiny embers. I would not be surprised if this one was displayed under a black light, perhaps inside the attraction itself. We may never know for sure...


I'll have more black light fun for you coming up in a future post!

9 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

Fun stuff!!!

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

WOW!!!! 25 second exposures make me nervous... Excellent job major, the X-1 poster jumps right off the screen. Boy I bet these look amazing in person (hint).... You need to open a gallery and charge admission!

Thanks for taking the time to do these, can't wait to see what else you have.

thepicklebarrel said...

oh man!! someone finally did it!!!!

Space Station X-1 is just as cool as I thought it would. I guess I'll be buying a blacklight!

Rainbow Caverns must be out of hand!

Major Pepperidge said...

Perkypickle, I took a photo of my Rainbow Caverns as well, and it actually doesn't look remarkably different from the way it looks under normal light. But I will post it one of these days!

Thanks, Tim!

Nancy said...

these are so awesome!

i love how the 20,000 Leagues poster looks as tho there is an external light shining n the monster

Space Station X-1 is the perfect coloration for the black light effect

super job, Major! :D

jedblau said...

Now THAT was an invaluable service. Thanks!!!

Matterhorn1959 said...

Wow-wow, wow. The images turned out better than I expected.

Anonymous said...

Those are great!

Eric

Chris Merritt said...

WOW! To quote Charles Phoenix - SHOCKING!!!!