Sunday, September 20, 2009

Along the Rivers of America, 1957

If you are like me and live in a van down by the river, than today's photos will make you feel right at home!

This first image takes a look at the relatively new Tom Sawyer Island, with the fantastic Castle Rock. Kids love forts, treehouses and caves (even if they've never seen real examples of those), and they love to explore and climb. Just looking at this picture makes me want to see and do all of those things.


Even though this photo is blurtastic, you can make out the Stagecoach trundling along the dirt path. It carries a full load of passengers, including the usual herd of kids hanging off of the top of the thing. Can I sign your cast after the Stagecoach falls over?


Hey, there's that treehouse I was talking about before. Tom Sawyer built a doozy, you could walk up a staircase to get to the top instead of climbing a ladder made of chunks of two-by-fours nailed to the tree (or yegads! climbing a rope). I can't think of a better place to plan picaresque adventures*.


*Picaresque is the word of the day.

6 comments:

Chiana_Chat said...

Nice word, Picaresque... I also like Picardesque, because it reminds me of alopecia.

And speaking of, the island seems a bit threadbare in the bottom pic. No bones about it though (at least, not back then) it looks like plenty of fun! Strangely the other two, tho' relatively sparse, look fine to me. I especially like the top pic. Fort - canoe - chock full o' fun stuff.

All of 'em have a nice afternoon glow. :)

The Viewliner Limited said...

Tom Sawyer's Island, a true favorite for me. A lot of roll playing went on there with my brothers and I. Great place. Greater memories.

Anonymous said...

I'm a little confused, did there used to be a different raft landing on the island? I can't make these photos fit the map in my brain.

Nancy said...

looks like everyone is having fun! a stagecoach ride would be nice right about now...:D

Anonymous said...

A picture like that always makes me think of your classic kid in the treehouse picture. One of my all time favorite pics on this blog.

Chiana_Chat said...

Anonymous the First, yes there was another landing for a raft that conveyed peeps from/to the Indian Village (Critter Country / Hungry Bear restaurant etc today). That old landing is seen in the top pic. The landing in the lower pic is, or is near, one still there today although the whole area up there has been changed a lot for Fantasmic.

(experts correct me if I'm mistaken)