Thursday, September 10, 2009

Disneyland in Black and White, 1958

Here are more black and white snapshots from those thrilling days of yesteryear!

Sleeping Beauty Castle is covered in scaffolding; I believe that this had something to do with the addition of the castle walk-thru, but I'm not entirely sure. I posted a similar color image over 3 years ago (it was my 14th post!).


The Columbia sits in Fowler's Harbor perhaps undergoing some last minute work before it officially debuted? I'm not really sure. Notice the guy in scuba gear... could this photo have been taken the same day as this color image?


And lastly, a nice picture of a Conestoga Wagon as it heads away from the loading area and into the wilderness. At least I think that's what's happening... I don't see a driver! Maybe he was hit by an Indian arrow and he fell off, leaving a runaway wagon.

6 comments:

Chiana_Chat said...

hehe. If the driver fell off and you had to wrassle the wagon back to town, was your money cheerfully refunded?

Weird how well the severe forced perspective works on Rainbow Ridge in that particular pic.

The Castle may be the same day, can't tell, but as for the Columbia shot: if you look on the extreme right of the color slide you'll see some plantings at water level and a post not present in the B&W shot, which suggests that while the timing is almost certainly very close, it's probably at least a different day.

Jim said...

The frogman made me think of a comment once made by a friend of mine who shares my predilection for park images. He has always contended that there is a shot floating out in cyberspace of the Rivers of America drained for maintenance post park opening. I've never seen it and I am very skeptical. Anybody ever run across such an image? I went back to my old E-ticket on Disney waterways and couldn't find anything. Thanks in advance

Katella Gate said...

Notice that the downspout on the Castle is just an ordinary chute, instead of the Sleeping Beauty "squirrel" gargoyles now in place. Also the blank coat of arms over the draw bridge.

I'm surprised that the government has let the Park keep the chain rails over the bridge, although the have been made more kid proof over the years.

Nancy said...

these are very cool

a beautiful picture of the Columbia and i LOVE the Rainbow Ridge bonus background with our stagecoach and horses :D

Chiana_Chat said...

Jim, I'm sure I've seen a pic of the drained Rivers but I don't remember where I saw it or at what time it was taken. Luck...

Sky Magic said...

I see the driver in the wagon, hiding in the shade under the canopy! And it looks like he's the only person on board. Waiting between trips, perhaps?