Monday, September 07, 2009

Knott's Smorgasbord!

Happy Labor Day, homies! Trust me, you don't want to go to Disneyland on a holiday weekend. Let's try our luck over at Knott's Berry Farm!

Grandpa is stuck with stroller duty in this 1957 photo. The sun is setting, and only the tall trees and water tower are still getting direct sunlight. Ol' #41 sits in the shadows exhaling steam while it waits for a new load of passengers. Did the train continue to run after dark?


Now it's June 1958, and we have another photo of the "Red Cliff". Doesn't it look neat? Apparently this was a day when no girls were allowed in the park, with their cooties and things of that nature.


In 1965, there's no need to go to San Francisco to ride a genuine San Francisco cable car. Just head on over to the Berry Farm! Knott's cable cars don't go up and down vertiginous hills though... flat Buena Park farmland is what you get. Still, it would be a mighty pleasant way to take a load off of your feet.


Now it's 1964... I ruined my watch while panning for gold, but it feels like it's time for supper. "Sutter's Grub-Stake" has hot dogs, hamburgers, tacos, and soft drinks... everything a growing boy needs. Notice the two street sweepers in western outfits; from the looks of things, they're doing a fine job. Nice to see that the Covered Wagon Show is free, but can it really be only 3 minutes long??

9 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

Major, you just made my day! Those are two of the restaurants I worked at...Cable Car Kitchen/Ice Cream Parlour (seen behind the Cable Car) and Sutter's Grub-Stake in Ghost Town. You have posted different shots of these buildings previously, but I'm loving the fact that you posted these together. Thank you!!!

Oh, and both buildings are still standing, but the last time I was there, they were both in pretty sad shape!

Chiana_Chat said...

Not only did you make TM's day, but you brought smiles to my face! Train shots are beaut, the cable car is just too awesome and I wanna go strolling into the bottom one!

The Covered Wagons were shown for 3 minutes. And then they covered the wagons again. ;p

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

WOW Major, Nice Knott's Set! The cable car one is extra sweet & rare! I wonder if they still have "no girls" day???

Katella Gate said...

Major, most of the smoke coming out of the top of the locomotive is coming from a generator, so I don't see any reason why the train couldn't run at night.

I only remember riding it during daylight hours.

Anonymous said...

Wow, many thanks Major, these brought back a trainload of memories. The Train DEFINATELY ran at night - or at least for some time past dusk - as I clearly remember seeing it pulling into the station when the park was dark(and blocking my rush to the log ride, darn you train!).

I had totally forgotten about the Cable Car. And I loved it too, although my mother wouldn't let me hang onto the side rails, I had to sit inside. Amazing the things we forget.

TM, I'm so sorry to hear the buildings aren't being maintained. I haven't been to Knott's in almost 30 years, and while I think about returning I don't see how I could without being saddened at what is gone. Much of what the Knott family built in 50 years, gone in less than 20....

Dreemfinder said...

The Covered Wagon show was (is?) a stationary diorama with prerecorded narration and lighting effects set within a closet-sized room with a few wooden benches and a barred door. Its charm lay in its age and extreme primitive nature and if it lasted any longer than three minutes I would have wound up beating down the door to get out. ;)

Nancy said...

what a great set of pictures for a great American holiday!

i love the cable car, its gorgeous! i also wondered what a covered wagon "show" would be, so thanks to dreemfinder for the inside scoop


i hope to visit this place someday (on my next trip out West, tho not sure how soon that will be :( but i realize it wont be much like the place we get to visit every now and then here together!

Unknown said...

I REALLY need to borrow my dads old slides. I know he has tons of pictures of that train. I just hope they haven't degraded in quality too bad.

Anonymous said...

I remember sitting near the Cable Car Kitchen watching the cable cars go by...actually turn around and head back out to the parking lot. Wonder what became of those cars. I recall them being electified (maybe battery powered...it's been a long time).