Thursday, August 13, 2009

Two from Knott's, 1950's

Here are two undated photos of Knott's Berry Farm; undated, but certainly from the 1950's, maybe even the early 50's.

The covered wagon is carrying a full load; I envy the two boys who got to sit up front with the driver. Looks like they are on a paved roadway, and in fact the wagon wheels appear to have rubber on them (?). Guess it made for a smoother ride, anyway. Does anybody know if the covered wagon's route had any special features just for them? Or was it a simple ride around the park?


I have no idea what that thing is, but it has sure has big wheels! I think I've seen something kind of like it used for irrigation; at any rate, it's impressive, and gives kids something to climb on. Notice the cacti growing on the roof of the building in the background!

9 comments:

Chiana said...

Cacti on the roof hehe

Either it's for irrigation or it has a French name and struck fear into the hearts of people besieged behind walls of stone.

Anonymous said...

It was a logging tool for hauling

TokyoMagic! said...

Yep, it was used for hauling logs. There used to be a plaque explaining what it was used for. It has been moved around over the years, but last time I checked, it was still at Knott's.

. said...

The logging wheels were first brought to Knott's in 1945, making it one of the few early attractions that are still there. It's currently located right across from the Chicken Dinner Restaurant. I still get a kick out of walking right up to it and examining it for the 1,000th time!

Chiana said...

Thanks for the info Anon, TM & Museum, I've seen it but didn't know what it was. If it's still there next time I'm at Knotts it'll be more interesting to see now I know. :)

The Viewliner Limited said...

Great pics Major. Knotts was so cool!

210Frwy said...

It may be still there but can you still climb on it?

Anonymous said...

I think I remember this being located in Ghost Town in the 60's - 70's. Or maybe just outside Ghost Town near the SteakHouse?? Wish I had thought to take photos of all the interesting things, rather than the same old photos everyone else took.

Barry said...

Chiana...another lover of the film "The Pride and the Passion"?