Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Tomorrowland, October 1974

This might be the first photo from the 70's that I have posted on this blog... I think you'll agree that it's a good one! Here's the Tomorrowland that I remember from childhood, looking very similar to some of those John Hench renderings that we've seen. The Peoplemover loading platform and the Rocket Jets were icons of the post-67 Tomorrowland, and they both added so much life to the area with their constant movement.

OK, here's a question I'm almost embarrassed to ask...did the Peoplemover's roof lift up, maybe just as you got in? If you look at the red cars to the upper left, it looks like they are angled...and I've noticed that in other photos as well. But I honestly don't remember. The answer is probably, "No, dummy!". Oh well, I can take it!

I like the two kids running towards us with excited smiles on their faces, I wonder where they are headed to next?

5 comments:

Matterhorn1959 said...

Major- the roofs did move up and then close down. It was to help facilitate loading and was also a unique design to try to keep people inside of the vehicle.

Anonymous said...

GREAT photo, thanks. I sure miss that Tomorrowland.

Anonymous said...

Love it! Let's get over to the Monsanto now! (what we used to call Adventure thru inner space) Hope you can do a special feature on that.

Great stuff.

Anonymous said...

the tomorrowland i grew up with and miss soo much!

Connie Moreno said...

I keep hoping to find myself in a photo, LOL!